Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2009, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Concrete vs. paver walkway

Was planning on putting in a paver walkway on my own. However, I'm starting to reconsider and wondering if it would be cheaper to have someone come in and make a walkway out of concrete. I'm having them come anyway to build some steps for me. What are the advantages of poured concrete over pavers (if any)?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

honestly, I can't think of any advantages of solid concrete over pavers...other than price...

concrete can crack, can stain, boring....

can be stained different colors, can have patterns stamped in it easy to install, cheap

Pavers....hardly ever crack, infinite (almost) variety of colors, patterns, styles. yes they can stain as well, but it much easier to replace one or two bricks (or just flip em over) depending on t he product and stains go away... pavers will slow water run-of in that the paver joints are permeable Ie less water going into storm sewers..

yes you do need to sweep sand into the joints every year or so(as needed) yes ther are more labor intensive to put in and thus more costly.

I would consider using pavers to make your front step rather than plain concrete...or at the very least put a paver veneer over the concrete steps so they blend together...if you end up doing a paver walkway

just my thoughts...
Old 07-21-2009, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The only advantage to concrete is a lower upfront cost....thats it.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 08-25-2009, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I've actually priced out jobs, one concrete one pavers. The pavers were actually cheaper. The reason is you pay for the cement truck to come and pour. If you are only doing a small walkway, the cost to bring the truck out & small yardage of cement actually is more expensive than getting pavers delivered. At least in my area, I'm sure others will claim their area is much different. Now if they are coming anyway for stairs, possibly the cost will be less now since you're getting more concrete in that same delivery cost.

But I agree with the others, pavers is the way to go! They will out last your concrete. What if you get a crack in the concrete, are you going to rip it up and replace, I doubt it, you'll just live with the ugliness of it all. Pavers won't crack, and if something happened to them, just pick it up and replace it. Anyone can have a plain concrete walk, but pavers make a statement, and boost your home value.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccas View Post
Was planning on putting in a paver walkway on my own. However, I'm starting to reconsider and wondering if it would be cheaper to have someone come in and make a walkway out of concrete. I'm having them come anyway to build some steps for me. What are the advantages of poured concrete over pavers (if any)?

yes it will be cheaper...and thats about the only advantage.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Go Pavers!!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are only two types of concrete, new and cracked. Pavers are a better bet.
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 06-05-2010, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Follow up... I should have listened. I went with concrete for the price. It looked great for 6 month. As the thaw came it cracked. 3 big cracks. So here is my question.... Any way to fix it? I was thinking of outside tile and covering the walkway.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What no expansion joints in the sidewalk?Especially in the NE with our freeze thaw cycles. Whoever did the job,call them back.Ive got 70 year old sidewalk blocks that haven't cracked yet;tree roots move the blocks,then I lift them, grind the roots and reset the blocks.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
... pavers will slow water run-of in that the paver joints are permeable Ie less water going into storm sewers...
Actually, if properly installed, the amount of permeation on a small walkway that is properly pitched is negligible. The idea behind sloping is to get water off of the pavers as quickly as possible.