Register free!

Old 04-17-2002, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Moss in our lawn

I have a customer that for some reason has a lot of moss in his lawn. there are rows of yellow grass while the rest of the grass is responding to the fertilizer just fine. Are these rows of yellow grass have anything to do with the moss? the moss is killing the turf, I have been tolled to use lime if the soil is to acidic to help raise the ph level and ad a moss killer is this true? the turf is well drained with no trees, these are wide open spaces and hills with full sun. So I no it not moisture.

can it be some thing else any ideas. Thanks
Old 04-17-2002, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna guess here, but....could the rows of yellow grass be from an UNEVEN fertilizer application ? Do the rows happen to be in the same pattern that the fert was applied?
Old 04-18-2002, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes you have acidic soil, sounds to me also that who applied the fert. didn't over lap, causing zebra stipes.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

maybe you also need to aerate the ground to let some air in and relieve some compaction. Soil may need lime, but you need to do a soil test to find out for sure and how much is needed. It does sound like the spreader operator had a problem putting down granular.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Club mosses can do OK in well draining sunny soils. Check Ph & all other environmental conditions that may be allowing the upper hand to the moss & not the turf. Overseed the areas after the moss is dead & removed or it will grow back.
Ferrous Iron Sulphate Heptehydrate is the moss killer you probably heard about. I've seen it in retail places (scotts?) labled as Moss Control. But the straight ingredient form is just as effective (same stuff) & you won't jhave to pay retail margins to get the stuff. It's a very cheap source of Iron. The turf will green up a little & remain unharmed. I've mixed it at 10 oz dry product to a gallon of water & applied at 1gal/M. You may need to repeat this treatment, but at $8.00 per 40lb bag, so what?

Steve
Old 04-19-2002, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Generally moss is not your problem, but a symptom of a problem. Moss is the most simple of plants, able to survive where other plants cannot. Moss in turf is not killing the turf, it works the other way around: turf kills moss! If you are providing a proper growing medium for the grass, it will take over from the moss. In over 20 years of turf maintenance, I have never treated moss to remove it, just enhanced turf environment and moss disappeared. Moss cannot compete with other plants growing vigorously.

Learn the proper cultural practices to grow grass successfully, do appropriate testing of site, and then fix the real problem. Only places I have seen where moss is a real problem is northern west coast and Canadian areas, where moisture is too excessive and weakens grass.