Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2009, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1 big mailier or a few little ones

I am working on my mailier program and I was wondering if I should do the big mailier of about 25K or do about 8k over a few months mailied to the same house? What has worked for you?
36' Wright Stander
32' Wright Stander
Redmax Blowers
Shindawia Trimmers
Old 07-22-2009, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

In the last 6-months I have had two completely different professionals in the business coaching world suggest multiple contacts to the same people are the way to go. I don't know if its the in style thing to teach now or if it really works. I am told it takes 7 contacts before people begin to recognize and remember you.

I know an older guy in the biz around here who was doing postcards since before the Internet and he swears by the repeated contact method. He has a particular type of client he specializes in and they only live in certain areas and he sends out the same post card to the same people quarterly I think. I know one thing those people in those areas know who he is. I think he may take it to the extreme, if someone gets your card quarterly for 3 years and has not called probably not going to.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright5223 View Post
I am working on my mailier program and I was wondering if I should do the big mailier of about 25K or do about 8k over a few months mailied to the same house? What has worked for you?
I would keep the mailers closer together time wise and possibly have some variation not the same exact thing every time but that's just what I'm doing. Keep it short and to the point.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 07-22-2009, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

If you can qualify your list somehow in order to target your prospects, then definitely go with multiple contacts. Put yourself in the shoes of the prospect - you need a lot of things to go right for a single exposure to get the response. By mailing several times, you create more opportunities for response.

If you go this way, look at your mailing list and try to slim it down by some criteria that will better target your best potential clients; proximity to you shop, proximity to other customers, home value, income, etc.