Register free!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Blazing Wire Connectors

You guys ever used these things??? We picked some up today for a lighting job we were doing. We had to join together like 8 fixtures onto 1 hub today and it's always difficult to fit all that into a standard wire connector. So we found these at the local Horizon distributor. They're pretty slick! About twice the size of a regular Large wire connector. REALLY big. Able to fit a lot of wires into one connector. I like it!

They don't look so big in the photos on their website (below). But they are very big in person. Cool stuff!

http://www.blazingproducts.com/produ...V9/joiner.html

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 07-22-2009, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Check these out Jim!!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=283556
Old 07-22-2009, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I got a bag of the blazing ones here. Isnt it that connector where you twist the wires up then snap it into a holder then into the grease tube ? I preffer something more substantial than a twist connection. Ace connectors or soldered. The large ace connectors (I get them from Mike Gambino) would easily hold 8 fixtures but in a scenario where I had a 10ga and 8 16ga wires I would solder it.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Check out out Intelli Connect billy. I had 7 or 8 16ga wires in one hole and the single 12ga homerun in the other. It would easily hold more and or bigger wire easily. Pretty sweet connection.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Im not too keen on the side by side idea. I know it would work well for a hub scenario since you would have all the wires coming up out of the ground but its rare I use a hub anymore. The inline connections work well for T's since you can keep the main line moving in the direction you want it to easily not to mention the inline is perfect for in trees and stuctures.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not trying to convinc you or be an a$$........? I understand your point for an inline splice but the SXS connection actually makes things pretty cool, especially for seperating the home run wire or the inline fuse. I was not to hot about our Intelli0Connect when we got it from paige but then I wired one and i must say its pretty awesome!
Old 07-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
You guys ever used these things??? We picked some up today for a lighting job we were doing. We had to join together like 8 fixtures onto 1 hub today and it's always difficult to fit all that into a standard wire connector. So we found these at the local Horizon distributor. They're pretty slick! About twice the size of a regular Large wire connector. REALLY big. Able to fit a lot of wires into one connector. I like it!

They don't look so big in the photos on their website (below). But they are very big in person. Cool stuff!

http://www.blazingproducts.com/produ...V9/joiner.html .
Jim,

I love them. In fact they are the only connector we are currently carrying. They have stain relief (wires can't pull out) and a seal that keeps the grease in. To me that makes them a good choice over grease caps. They do the same thing as a 3M direct burial tubes but are quicker, more discreet and cost less... so to me that makes them a good choice over 3M tubes.

For the guys that use grease caps or 3M direct burial tubes I think the Blazing product is a great upgrade.

There are great reasons to use in-line ace connectors, buchanans, hub connectors like the Paige Connector and Uniques hex fittings, and soldering, (arguably superior)... but i think the Blazing LV9500 is an excellent dbr connection for the masses/standard use connections. Especially if the alternative is not doing one of these labor intensive/high end/specialty splices.

Sincerely,

Alan
(813) 978-3700
alanb@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Factory Direct Outdoor Lighting
Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Im going to be blunt on this. If all you are doing is twisting up some wires and just snapping them into a tube you are looking for the easy way out. If you are building your systems to last you need a mechanical connection of some sort. Im not saying it cant make a good connection that will last for some time I am saying there is some room for error or room for a poor connection.

I would definatly use the blazing in conjuntion with a crimp or a soldered joint but I wouldnt just twist them up and snap them in to a thin plastic tube.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I guess I have the same success story James has on his LED's. I have done probably well over 5000 lamps over a period of almost 15 years now, and I have had to redo exactly no grease wire nut connections. Including irrigation grease wire nuts, you could probably up that to closer to 12000 connections. no failure.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd love to be able to take the time to solder in each connection and to teach and train all my workers how to do that properly. But the reality is we don't have that kind of time. It's very quick and easy to twist wires together and place them inside a grease cap. And the failure rate doing it that was is so low it hasn't ever been a problem at all.

We all have different business models. And what works for some doesn't always work for the other. For some of you guys, you're doing high-dollar, big lighting installations for million dollar homes. You're typical client doesn't care nearly as much about price and how much labor it takes. They just want the results and they know you're reputation for doing it right and they can afford to have you take your time.

Then there are those of us whose clients can KIND OF afford outdoor lighting. That's me. Most of our clients are in fairly nice homes ($350K-$800K homes on a 10K lot) but not big million dollar 1 acre properties. And most of our clients, when they think of outoor lighting - are thinking of the little $200-$400 kits you buy at Costco or Malibu from Home Depot. They might like what they saw us do down the street at a neighbor's home but they have no clue that cost that person $3500.00.

So what I am saying is; in our main market - to keep the prices as affordable as possible - we have to get a lighting job done fairly quickly. We take time and do good work. But if we took a little more time to solder joints, use heat-shrinks, bury the wire in conduit 12" deep, etc. our labor would make the job cost so much that nobody would hire us to do lighting. As it is, because of the brand we use, and because of our company overhead, etc. I am already priced a little higher than most when it comes to lighting. I know where most people's breaking points are for lighting and we're pretty much straddling that line already.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon