Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-24-2009, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Finally... As promised... Hydrowalk SD with brakes

Some of you may remember that I talked about adding steering brakes to my Ferris 36" Hydrowalk. Unlike the episode with the hydrogen generator these brakes actually work.

I bought this mower back in March of 2005. Since I'd had a hydrowalk before I figured this one would be as easy to use as my previous mower. I tried it at the dealer and it seemed to steer pretty easily. Well, at the dealer is one thing and pratical use in the field is another.

I found that I couldn't use the mower on any kind of slope or with a sulky. Just like the popular Quick mowers there really is no way to steer these mowers. I tried the swing your hips thing and that did nothing since the Ferris is about 100-150 pounds heavier than the Quick. So since I had modified the mower (I added a useless Velke to it) the dealer wouldn't take it back. So I pushed the Hydrowalk to the back of the garage with 60 hours on it and bought a belt drive to use instead.

Since 2005 I've been driving myself nuts trying to figure out how to get use out of this $3,000 mower that I just had sitting around. I looked at all kinds of stuff like scrub brakes and the disk brakes that were on earlier versions of the Hydrowalk. Nothing would be practical or cheap.

Then this past winter I had a brain fart. How about some go-kart brakes. I looked into the various different types and came across one that seemed like it would be easy to adapt. They're called band brakes and most gear drive mowers come with them. The deal would be adapting them to my Hydrowalk. The wheel hub diameter on my Hydrowalk is 1-5/16". I found some 5 and 7" band brake drums with a 1-1/4" inside diameter. I was in business.

So I got in touch with a friend of mine that does some really nice machine work (he did the heads on my 5.0) and made him a deal. He had a house with a yard thas habout 50 large trees on it. The leaves hadn't been cleaned up on a large portion of the yard for 7 years and he wanted them cleaned up. So in exchange for his talents we made a trade. He was great at machine work and I have the tools to get rid of his leaves.

In any case. Here are some pics. We used Harley Davidson brake levers and cables. It works really well. I can now use this mower anywhere a gear drive mower will go. Part of the modification process included moving the wheel mounting plate out on the hub 2.25" so we could gain clearance for the brakes. The added benefit to that was it widened the wheel base by 4.5" and this thing is like a goat on hills now. Most SD mowers will lift whichever tire is up a slope when you try to go sideways on a hill. When that happens the mower stops moving. With the widened wheel base I haven't experienced that yet and the steepest hill I've done is about 25°.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i dont get the need for this, i do alot of hilly properties here in ct and have never had a problem like you are describing. and i run a hydro w/b. , i guess ill commend you on your ingenuity and workmanship,
Old 07-24-2009, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenmanCT View Post
i dont get the need for this, i do alot of hilly properties here in ct and have never had a problem like you are describing. and i run a hydro w/b. ,
There are 3 kinds of hydro systems in use on walkbehinds today. You have either the dual drive where there are seperate pumps and wheel motors for each rear wheel or you have the intergrated pump/wheel motor combo often referred to as IZT. I have the third type.

It's the same type that is often used in riding tractors. It's an intergrated pump/rearend assembly. Mine is just like most car rearends in that it only drives one wheel at any given time. Yours is kinda like Positraction, it drives both rear wheels. Since mine only drives one wheel at a time you need a way to steer it since you can't just increase or decrease the individual wheel speed independantly like you can.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You do quotes on an R6. I had a R5 one time. Not nearly the bike the R6 is. Look it up.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You do quotes on an R6. I had a R5 one time. Not nearly the bike the R6 is. Look it up.
thats pretty old school right there, pretty cool though, i wanna paint it green and put the greenman logo on it.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i didnt know that about the hydro systems, glad i know now.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

If it works out well for you then that's great. Imo, the simple solution.....purchase a Turf Tracer and you wouldn't have had to go through all of that stuff.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagguy View Post
If it works out well for you then that's great. Imo, the simple solution.....purchase a Turf Tracer and you wouldn't have had to go through all of that stuff.
And take all the fun out of it?

Nice setup Richard
Old 07-25-2009, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccmachine View Post
And take all the fun out of it?

Nice setup Richard
And twice the price.

Thanks. It turned out better than I expected. Troy did a great job on the machine work.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagguy View Post
And loose the QOC and compact ground following design a timed blade machine gives. IMO staggered blade designs suck, they can never cut as flat as a timed deck!