Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2009, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you get most of your clientelle?

Im sure this question has been asked before, but what methods do you guys generally use? You can Pm if you're worried about giving secrets away. I live in Columbus, Oh and operate in Dublin and Hilliard areas.

-Travis
Old 07-25-2009, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have put adds in the paper before and that works good. Sometimes door hangers work, but you have to target the right houses. I have an add running in the phone book this year, and so far it's been paying for itself. Maybe not quite as much as I would like it to, but it's been worth it so far. Getting your trucks lettered helps. I also pick up a lot of work from people I know. Make sure people know you own a business. Like everyone else says, word of mouth is the best way to pick up customers. Your satisfied clients tell other friends and then they hire you.
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 07-25-2009, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get most by referrals now or someone on the block where I am working will ask about my service. I stopped advertising in the paper, etc. because I got tired of wadeing through all the bull. Sometimes I will leave a flyer in the area where I'm working if the lawn is already well kept, but I stopped leaving them at houses where it looks like no lawn work has been done in 5 or 10 years. They usually can't afford a lawn service. You can't be too picky when you first start out, but after awile alot of the business will come to you if you do a decent job.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Truck lettering is the most important get your name and # on there and passer bys that see what a nice job you are doing will either stop and talk with you or call in. If you don't have a budget for any other type of advertising that is key. From there move to phonebook and if you have the spare time door hangers work well also.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I'm done with a yard and I'm not pressed for time, I ride to houses in the same neighborhood that look like they need a cut and knock on the door. This usually works best on weekends when folks are home. Through the week I just leave a flyer at the door. This method has gotten me in the door to bid on a HOA common areas maintenance!

Plus, if you can get more houses in the same area, It helps keep your route tight and cuts down on vehicle gas overhead.
RedMax Trimmer
RedMax Hedge Trimmers
5x8 tilt trailer
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missis...e/151402474671

Last edited by BadRancher; 07-25-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I work out of Word of Mouth and Craigslist has worked this year. Good luck!!
6x12 Road King open trailer
Exmark Metro 48
Toro Proline 36 Belt Drive
Lawn Boy 21" commercial 2 stroke
Toro commercial 21"
Redmax EBZ 80001 BP
Redmax EBZ 8500 BP
Redmax CHT 2300 Hedge Trimmer
Redmax BCZ 2610 trimmer
Stihl BG 55
8 HP Push Blower

Solo Operation

My equipment and truck pics:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=283877
Old 07-25-2009, 05:49 PM

All my residential accounts found me without my having to do any mailbox advertising. My advertising is a superior quality job and a long list of services I provide. But having a sign on the truck and a few yard signs gets me a lot of recognition. 9 times out of 10 the new customer knew of me before their neighbor recommended me. "I see you out working all the time" is a common phrase I get from a new customer, which is surprising since up till now I have only been working part-time. Commercial accounts however take some leg-work to get.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All of our customers found us by word of mouth,if you keep your customers happy and treat them like a friend, new ones will come looking for you.We only do this parttime so no need to grow and we can be selective,turned down several that you could only do with a push mower, if we can't get the 32" in we pass on it.We also weed out the PITA customers, if they're too annoying ;it's just not worth it ,tell them to find someone else.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Sponsor

Truck signage and an optimized website

Truck signage and an optimized website have proved to be the best means of getting new clients and are now the only way we advertise.

Buy Sell & Trade Lawn & landscaping route accounts. The online market place for route accounts.
http://Tradeyouraccounts.com
http://facebook.com/ServiceRoutes
http://twitter.com/ServiceRoutes
Old 07-25-2009, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosedog View Post
All of our customers found us by word of mouth,if you keep your customers happy and treat them like a friend, new ones will come looking for you.We only do this parttime so no need to grow and we can be selective,turned down several that you could only do with a push mower, if we can't get the 32" in we pass on it.We also weed out the PITA customers, if they're too annoying ;it's just not worth it ,tell them to find someone else.
Perfectly said... word of mouth is the way to go. I usually send out a letter to each customer offering some sort of discount for the next cut for successful referrals. Beats paying for advertising for me.