Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2009, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro 455D missing parts ?

I am working on a Toro 455D. I think it was acquired at an auction. I don't have any history on this machine. It is currently sitting in a field of weeds.
Couple of flat tires. Needs cleaned. Missing some parts: Blades, deck wheels... ??

I didn't find the Serial # plate.

All fluids look good. The motor sounds like it turns over fine, but didn't fire right up with just a few minutes of tinkering. Probably a fuel issue.

It looks like it is missing a filter for the engine or something.
In the 2nd picture, there is a hose showing that looks like it connects to something and then to one of the other hoses over by the Diesel filler.

The 3rd picture shows the back of that panel where the other hose is and where it looks like something is supposed to have two screws to hold it on. Filter or something?

4th picture is looking DOWN on the same area. Hose end showing in the box.
Is there something missing off of that connector down there also? or is that something like an OBD connection?
Is that big condensor standard? It just looks 'added on'.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Sponsor

Poohboy;
The model of the unit you have is 30455. It is a GM 455-D, and the one you have was produced between 1996 and 2003. The model/serial plate is located just forward of the left front wheel. If there are 2 small pop rivet holes and no plate, then it was removed for some reason. The serial number is key to determining the vintage and many of the correct repalcement parts.

The part that is missing (in pictures 2,3 &4) is the Fuel Filter and Primer Assembly (76-5300). The Assembly has a Water-in-Fuel Indicator and that is what the harness is for (shown in picture 4).

The big blue Condenser that you refernce is what provides a 1~2 second delay for the seat switch safety system. It is factory installed.

Replacement parts and manuals can be obtained from your local Toro Commercial products distributor.

Regards,
Eric Baumeister
Toro Commercial Service
Old 08-04-2009, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toro Company View Post
The serial number is key to determining the vintage and many of the correct repalcement parts.

The part that is missing (in pictures 2,3 &4) is the Fuel Filter and Primer Assembly (76-5300). The Assembly has a Water-in-Fuel Indicator and that is what the harness is for (shown in picture 4).
I did find the serial plate. Thanks.

Should the machine RUN if I just put an in-line filter in instead of the Fuel Filter?
Is the Primer Assembly needed?
Does something with the wiring harness not being connected keep it from running?

I don't know why these parts were removed. I dont want to spend $$ on a new Fuel Filter and Primer Assembly only to find there is something else seriously wrong that made them start scavenging parts from this one... ??
Old 08-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Sponsor

poohboy;

The Primer/Filter assembly has a fuel pump bulb on it that is used to purge air from a new filter and the fuel line going to the rotary injection pump. The actual fuel pump is contained inside the rotary pump so removing the air is important.

If all you want to see is that the engine runs (before you invest additional money) I would suggest you use an alternate fuel conainer and an in-line filter. Raise the fuel source higher than the engine and let gravity work for you to fill the filter and pump. Purge the air.
The electrical connector does not need to be hooked up. It just activates a warning lamp.
Contact your local distributor or visit Toro.com and you can order an Operators manual for the machine if you desire.

Regards,
Eric Baumeister
Toro Commercial Service