Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2002, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

ugh oh!

oh gosh,, that pond we jut put together has the water level dropping dawn it
I set the water level 1" below the opening of the skimmer.

Was holding a good level for many hours, now it has been dropping and I suppose we have to do a process of elimination.

I told the HO to shutt the pump down for a day after he fills it back up to determine if its the liner or in the falls ,,this is correct yes?

We didnt use any foam on the waterfall stone,, we had a really good liner coverage coming up and over andto he sides within a horseshoe shape channel,,,was this wrong???
Old 04-21-2002, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Member

The most likley spot for leaks are in the stream. Once the leak is determined to be a leak not evaporation, you can start looking for wet spots around the stream. The problem can be easily fixed by adding a bit more earth behind the liner in the low spot. Make sure you pack it in nice and tight. You may need to move some rocks and gravel out of the way to make the leak easier to spot.

BTW turning off the pump is the first step to determine if the leak is in the pond or stream, but I'll bet it is in the stream.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Digin,

Provided the liver is high enough around the perimeter of the pond, the waterfall/stream area is most likely where you'll find the leak.

But like Digin said, make sure it isn't evaporation. How much did the water drop over those few hours?
Old 04-21-2002, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks
Yea the pump was shut down for a day but he indicated its still dropping, this rainy weather we been having hasnt helped none other then allow me to burn time while on another job.

So it seems its in the liner, I have no clue how or why,,we where so carefull.

HO is panicing , I told him dont worry we will rectify the problem no matter what, please be patient and allow the water to keep dropping if its the case, there is nothing I can do untill it settles and stays at a constant level. (this is correct yes??)

Its a shame this happned, I just about broke evn on this installation
Old 04-21-2002, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Im going over there this afternoon or noon time to look;
It dropped supposobly 2.5", but it hasbeen raining on and off.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Look carefuly where the skimmer joins the liner, there is potential for leaks in this area. The water won't drain any lower than the leak, but you know that already. Liner is pretty tough, check the connections first.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok cool I will,, can I utilize the foam spray along the skimmer and liner even though it has been sealed and screwed at the face pate ( even the bio falls too?)
I think I may want to even do this even if I find a puncture hole n liner, But I want to ask first
dawn leak
Ill check the fittings,, the biofalls inlet we checked by filling it up with half way water befor we backfilled it,,it was OK,,

also if it has stopped dropping,,how long is it good to wait to substansiate the drop? couple days?
Old 04-21-2002, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Seam tape and silicone will provide a better repair than foam. Redoing the skimmer to liner connection would be a better option than trying to patch it. You can get patch kits from swimming pool companies that will work underwater, or in wet conditions if it's a liner hole. I'm not sure about the fish-safeness of these products though or if they will work on rubber as opposed to vinyl.
Old 04-21-2002, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a hole in the epdm liner you can get patch kits but the liner must be clean and dry. The kit is just like the kits we use to patch bicycle tires with and is done the same way. The people you got your liner from should have it.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Listen to these guys - trying to cram a leak full of caulk, expandable foam, or anything else will only result in another failure in the near future.

If the leak is where the liner connects to the skimmer, and it's due to a bad seal there, you'll want to re-do the whole connection, which would involve double-sided seam tape, more liner, and reconnecting.