Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2002, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm using QX Platinum version and overall it has reduced desk time and made life easier. Still hurdles to overcome but the application is moving in a positive direction.

There are 150 custom fields available which make the application vey adaptable for various needs. The appointment based scheduling is good for many businesses.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does Qxpress give you the ability to do a mail merge with your customers? Basically send ou the same form letter to each one of your customers?
Old 01-30-2003, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes it does have mail merge and many more features. Check it out :

http://www.alocet.com/products/QB/index.html
Old 01-30-2003, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks.

The demo is on the way....Last years demo, I never tried out, would not work with Quickbooks 2002 Pro.. Spoke to them on the phone and they said the updated will work.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Web integration!

Wow!

Anyone using this?
Old 01-31-2003, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Started using QBXpress last year. Ithink itspretty good. Have had a few problems with an upgrade of the quickbooks program but am working through that. The QBXpress makes invicing so mucheasier.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been using Q express for 4 months now and I cannot praise the system enough.It makes life a lot easier for me to organise sheduling and accounting systems.

thanks

Andrew
Old 01-31-2003, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bear with me on this question....my accountant, just yesterday, told me to return quickbook pro to the store....he said unless I have a pretty good grasp of accounting principles, that using this software may take him longer to do my taxes.....he suggested I use an excel program he will give me....whats up with that...never heard anyone bad mouth QB...I thought I found a good accountant ...finally. But maybe I'll have to keep shopping??
Old 01-31-2003, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a real accountant. Whatever he is doing is not the management tool you need.

One downside to QB is that it is not what is called a "double entry system". In a true double entry system money taken from one general ledger account has to show up in another account to keep the books "balanced". That is how scams are prevented IF the books are monitored. Ledger records genreally have to be printed before they are posted so there is a paper trail too.

In QB there is none of that. All money movement occurs behind the scene. No required paper to print. However reports can be printed about lots of stuff. What I'm saying is that if your small and do bookkeeping yourself, family, spouse or very trusted employee that you also check on, it is great.

One way to prevent embezzlement is to require 2 signatures from people not related on checks. Like yourself and the bookkeeper. I think it can be set up at the bank so that only one signature is required for disbursements less than whatever amount you want such as $500.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarPA
Bear with me on this question....my accountant, just yesterday, told me to return quickbook pro to the store....he said unless I have a pretty good grasp of accounting principles, that using this software may take him longer to do my taxes.....he suggested I use an excel program he will give me....whats up with that...never heard anyone bad mouth QB...I thought I found a good accountant ...finally. But maybe I'll have to keep shopping??
A lot of accountants don't like Quickbooks (this is an informed opinion, I am a practicing CPA).

There are 2 main reasons for this.

The first is that they don't understand the program themselves and don't want to learn it (you see this more in older accountants). They want to continue to do things as they always have. Clients using Quickbooks don't fit with that.

The second is that the client buys Quickbooks and does everything themselves during the year, and does a major portion of the work wrong. Then it may take the accountant longer to straighten things out than it would to just do it all themselves to start with. Just going to the store and buying a computer and an accounting program for an extra $150 doesn't make you an accountant. The old saying "garbage in, garbage out" applies here. If you are going to use Quickbooks or any other program, get some help if you don't know how to use it.

There are lots of training classes out there and CPAs and accountants that can offer assistance.

One solution to the second problem is for the accountant to help set things up for you and make sure that you are doing things right. If you are, it should make things easier. If not, a visit or 2 during the year should correct things.

Using Quickbooks properly should help you manage your business during the year, in addition to compiling information to prepare your taxes.

If you want to use Quickbooks, it sounds like you might want to find a different accountant. If he was Quickbooks friendly, he would probably have offered to help set it up for you (and make some money from fees) so that you could use it properly.