Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2009, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Please help me decide!

I will try to keep this as short and to the point as possible.

I have never used a zero turn and I want to replace a piece of junk lawn tractor that I have now. I am using it for residential but might pick up a few lawns in the neighborhood. I would like this to be the last mower I ever buy. (probably no more than 50-60hrs per year)

I don't really know what to look for in a new ztr. I have been to several area dealers and here are my conclusions so far:

The nearest dealer is strictly Dixie Chopper. The silver eagle series seems to be built like a tank. Kohler and Generac engines are available and he likes the generac due to the better air filtration system. I am interested in the 2744 or 2750 Generac with pricing from $7800 to $8000. He is about 5 minutes from my house.

My other main interest is Kubota ZG series. Two dealers between 25 minutes and 35 minutes from home. ZG222 with 48" cut for about $7300 or a ZG227 with 54" (demo with 6 hrs) for $7000. These also seem to be built like a tank.

I don't really know what to look for other than the fact that these models seem to be heavier duty than others I have looked at. I need opinions on these models (engines, drivetrains, overall reliability) and if the pricing seems good.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Old 07-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Have you been to a Toro or John Deere dealer in your area? But if DC and Kubota are the only options in your area then it is Kubota hands down. The ZG227 54" for $7000 is a good deal.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I posted in the commercial and RESIDENTIAL section but the powers that be decided it should be here. I am looking for a commercial grade model so I thought the knowledge base there would be best.

We don't have a Toro dealer close and I am fed up with JD. I have a cheaper JD tractor and I am extremely unhappy with both the tractor and the service from two area dealers.

I am leaning towards the Kubota due to features for the price and it seems to be built like a tank. I have some concern about the transmission system and the fact that parts are not readily available on the market.

Any other opinions are appreciated. I'm about ready to take the plunge and there is only one left at the good price!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutgrassfast View Post
Thanks for the reply. I posted in the commercial and RESIDENTIAL section but the powers that be decided it should be here. I am looking for a commercial grade model so I thought the knowledge base there would be best.

We don't have a Toro dealer close and I am fed up with JD. I have a cheaper JD tractor and I am extremely unhappy with both the tractor and the service from two area dealers.

I am leaning towards the Kubota due to features for the price and it seems to be built like a tank. I have some concern about the transmission system and the fact that parts are not readily available on the market.

Any other opinions are appreciated. I'm about ready to take the plunge and there is only one left at the good price!
you can get a ferris ztr for $6999. Best value out there and top notch machine. Some on here say Bad Boy is a good choice but the dealer support is limited. I personaly would stay away from the choices ypou mention and look for a Ferris, bobcat, exmark or hustler. Nothing wrong with a low hour used machine as well. I bought a ferris with 200hrs for 3700.

SOLO OPERATION