Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-29-2009, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Planting suggestions for shaded area

I have an area approx 20x20 that used to have a nice lawn. Over the years it has thinned out mostly I think due to the maturing of the maples that shade them from most of the sun. The area is a slight grade but less than 10 degrees. Right now it is pretty firm dirt with a scattering of grass.

I'm tempted to rent a tiller and see if I can till up 6 or so inches of the soil and plant some sort of shade grass if I can find one that would be good in my area which is CT. I do plan to plant some ground cover around the edges but don't want to do it for the whole area and mulching would tend to run off I think. Any suggestions about how well I might make out on an area like this and any grass suggestions also appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on how dense a shade it is. My guess is that you have a heavy cometition problem with maple roots. I would focus more on water than fertilizer. Shade is automatically a 'low maintenance' lawn.

I wouldn't tear up 6" of maple roots just to exeriment with more grass. Possibly aerate, then rake some compost into the holes and overseed.
If the ground isn't too compacted maybe just rough up the surface and overseed with a few bags of compost.

Gently soak it down good so it saturates, then firms. It should not wash away.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I loosened up the area and have decided to put ground cover in about 40% of it so the area to attempt grass is smaller now. Didn't come up with many roots but I'm sure you are right about the competition. I think I'll try some compost and seed with watering along with some trimming off that maple to get it a little more sun and see how it goes. If it fails I'll just bite it and go for more ground cover. Thanks for the info.