Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2009, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

U-haul trucks!!!!!!!!!!

I know this site has touched on this topic but has anyone bought a former U-haul truck and had good service out of it? THere is an article saying they want to get rid of their old stock before 2010 and, of course, we all know about the economy. I test drove one a couple of weeks ago-14', 460 v8, auto. It drove ok but had an exhaust leak and the tranny was shifty. The price was $2995 and I offered $500 just to be "stupid". Of course, the sales manager was insulted and said "I was out of my mind"-I know!!!!However, I saw an Isuzu with a 15' box, diesel, and 67,000 miles for only $5995. To me, the whole purpose is to spend as little as possible anticipating some repairs-I was thinking of $1500, $1500 dovetail-$3000-$3500 total invested. What are some opinions?
Old 07-30-2009, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

U-Haul trucks are pretty well maintained in our area. I know an LCO that picked up an e-350 14' body 7.3L IDI diesel w/ 150K for $1500.00. Few dings here and there but ok.

He had custom ramps built and runs half his opperation from this truck. Excellent idea in my mind. Great fuel economy and no trailer to hassle with. I kick myself in the nutz for not keeping my 1994 Mitsu Fuso 14' Van body. Truck had 139K ran like a top. Had an underbody lift but ramps would have been the way to go. Would have been the perfect rig for residential because it could fit anywhere. Awesome fuel mileage and good power if you weren't driving on the interstate.

My Girlfriend wants a Lawnsite T-shirt so that I'll pay attention to her some of the time.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The U-haul trucks around here being used buy LCO still are sporting the full U-haul paint scheme, It looks tacky U-haul is now cutting grass. I would at least repaint the darn thing, but buy the time your done paint the truck it's not a deal anymore.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Painting the trucks is expensive unless it's done by the owner. Would be surprised how well a vehicle can be painted for cheap.

Even a few rattle cans can make it look better. Still tacky, but better.

My Girlfriend wants a Lawnsite T-shirt so that I'll pay attention to her some of the time.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
The U-haul trucks around here being used buy LCO still are sporting the full U-haul paint scheme, It looks tacky U-haul is now cutting grass. I would at least repaint the darn thing, but buy the time your done paint the truck it's not a deal anymore.
U-haul is now painting their boxes white to cover up the logo. The only thing on these trucks is an orange stripe running down the cab. I would probably let Maaco paint the cab or maybe just the stripe-shouldn't be that expensive. I had a new Isuzu box truck in 01' so I know how nice a box truck is. However, I paid $33,000 for it and don't wan to go that route again, especially with a worker driving it.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I lucked up eariler in the year. I found a 18' 2000model Chevrolet box with DOVETAIL and trimmer racks inside, 96000 miles for 6000$. If you buy a Uhaul for 3500 a dovetail will run another 1500. Step up and look for a later model, you will be supried what a good box truck can be had for 10000$.

It did take 6 months of steady looking, and I had to drive 3 hours to look at the truck.

A box truck is really sweet to work out of.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
It did take 6 months of steady looking, and I had to drive 3 hours to look at the truck.
Yeah but that's the way to do it, when it's a serious decision, it involves a lot of
money, it should be taken seriously.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I lucked up eariler in the year. I found a 18' 2000model Chevrolet box with DOVETAIL and trimmer racks inside, 96000 miles for 6000$. If you buy a Uhaul for 3500 a dovetail will run another 1500. Step up and look for a later model, you will be supried what a good box truck can be had for 10000$.

A box truck is really sweet to work out of.
I'm looking to add 3 crews and been thinking about this type of box truck. Is it harder to get insurance on this truck.Ran it by my agent and she said yes but not sure.Also I went over 12 hours away to demo a machine and then drove 6 more to buy one.Thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

The only problem I see is these trucks are set up as moving vans. Not sure if the rear suspension in these trucks have been modified to ride smoother but you don`t have the payload.

Most U haul trucks are custom ordered. Have you noticed with the ones built on the E series chassis have corner windows.

I don`t know if I would buy used U haul they are driven hard and well abused.

I have seen them here so heavy the brakes are on fire from the hills here
Old 07-31-2009, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the u haul trucks here seem to be beat up pretty bad
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw