Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-31-2009, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Here in B.C. we have Budget truck rentals and they sell cube vans etc but their trucks they sell are in good shape. The ones from U-haul are well used and abused.

What do you expect you get a person that has only driven a smart car gets behind the wheel of a small cube truck like a E-350 with a full load the brakes are over heated the truck is driven rough.

Ryder truck rentals also sells used trucks.

Right now the truck market is slow trucks are selling for dime a dozen.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Here in B.C. we have Budget truck rentals and they sell cube vans etc but their trucks they sell are in good shape. The ones from U-haul are well used and abused.

What do you expect you get a person that has only driven a smart car gets behind the wheel of a small cube truck like a E-350 with a full load the brakes are over heated the truck is driven rough.

Ryder truck rentals also sells used trucks.

Right now the truck market is slow trucks are selling for dime a dozen.
THe truck I looked at was a clean truck but obviously well used being a 96'. The box was in good shape and that's a key factor-I like the fact that it is aluminum with fiberglass versus wood and thin metal. But, if I can get one for $1500 versus $33,000, I have to expect to do some repairs along the way. Yea, the salesman seemed to have an attitude when I offered less but, like you said, it's a tight economy. U-haul does claim to maintain their trucks well also.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get a vehicle with a wood/fiberglass box, not an alluminum one.

Fiberglass won't rip and tear as easily as alluminum when whacked on by mowers..the front fork of a toro ZTR will easily put hefty gash in an alluminum box but it takes some serious force to do that to a fiberglass box.

Drug war veteran

From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli
Old 08-01-2009, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Magic Mushroom Lawn Care.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2009, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by howierd3866 View Post
I'm looking to add 3 crews and been thinking about this type of box truck. Is it harder to get insurance on this truck.Ran it by my agent and she said yes but not sure.Also I went over 12 hours away to demo a machine and then drove 6 more to buy one.Thanks
Insurance in Alabama is no problem. Its only slightly higher than my pickup and it is stated to be used commericaly, I am th only driver on the policy.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
Magic Mushroom Lawn Care.
searching for something else, but that pic gave me a good laugh. thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

also keep in mind that many uhauls have lower decks inside with wheel wells which takes away from floor space...

Personally I would stick the the Asian cab over trucks. quality, and even simple things like turning radius in tight neighborhoods...for the same price....
Old 12-18-2009, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my dad has a former Uhaul truck then they used it as a sears delivery truck, its got 197k on it and still runs good, its an E350 with a 5.4 triton....small exhaust leak is the only thing wrong with it......best brakes ive ever seen in a truck like that.
John Deere 455 Diesel 60"
John Deere JX75 21"
Craftsman 21"
Echo blower/trimmer
Old 12-18-2009, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Some of the older

Ford trucks had a 330 cid industrial motor in them I believe and the wheels were a slightly different bolt pattern. Been awhile since I've been in that business so I'm not sure they still do those things.

I drove one the other day and it was okay. I think it would have been better with a load in it, but less than 200 miles and I put in over 20 gallons of gas. I'm sure it wasn't full full when I got it but that isn't great mileage.

Ryder was mentioned earlier, and Penske has their trucks for sale. You might want to go to a LEASE dealer that's selling trucks that have come off lease from a business. They may have more miles, but generally are driven by few different drivers - so they may have had better continual care. Probably will cost a bit more but it will be newer with less issue on getting after market parts.

That and $0.69 will get you a small coffee at McD's.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll tell what I've learned about the U-haul trucks, most are a pile of junk!!!!I have looked at two that advertised as running-one wasn't running and the other had had the box removed and wasn't running. I wasn't very happy. I offered the regional manager $500 for a different one down the road and he was less than nice about it!!! I basically gave up and am looking for a newer and nicer truck that is true to advertisement.