Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2009, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Zero Turn for 2 acres

I am looking at getting my first zero turn for my 2 acre yard. I want one that will last many years if taken care of. My yard is flat with about 20 trees and about 1/2 acre is rough. My budget is 4500 to about 6000 dollars. Here is what I have looked at and rode. Hustler Fastrack 48 19 kai 5000, Bobcat Fastcat Pro 48 19 kai 4900,Gravely 144m leftover 2008 19 kai 5100. The Gravely looks like the best deal but it and the Fastrack have the small air filter and the Bobcat has the heavy duty air filter. The Bobcat looks to be on par with the Hustler Fastrack SD except for the smaller engine. The Gravely is a Commercial unit.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would get the biggest deck with the most HP I could afford. I did just that when I got my Dixie Chopper LT2700-60D 3 years ago now, but DC was holding a special promotional offer then, and I was able to stretch my budget a little higher ($7500ish).

Not sure where they fall with regard to price, but DC does have a highend consumer line with twin ZT2800 hydro trannies, the Iron Eagle. Might be worth checking out. Had they carried this line then, I might have purchased the 2560 instead.

Also, when I was looking, the Bad Boy ZT Series caught my eye, and as it too uses twin ZT2800s, should fall within your price range. However, at that time, the closest dealer was about 300 miles away. Since then, my local TSC store has begun selling only the ZT series.

Some thoughts on the specific makes/models you're looking at:

I was not impressed with the Fastrack (thought the deck was nothing more than consumer-grade with small discharge to compensate), or my local dealer (probably a bigger factor in my decision).

I liked the BobCat FastCat, but thought it under-powered and slightly over-priced as a result. Here too, I found the dealer just a tad too much of a turn-off.

As you mention, the Gravely is a true commercial unit and as such, I really liked it. I also found my local dealer to be good fit for me. However, I was wanting a 60" deck, which Gravely did offer in the 100 series at the time, but my dealer said there were cut issues with it (apparently not able to sufficiently pull the grass back up before cutting it after the front tires ran it down; possibly a spindle-to-front caster placement issue). The 260 was not in my price bracket.