Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-29-2010, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Huge Heist

Some of my employee's have an uncle who works for Sunterra here in south Austin. I'm guessing Sunterra lost around $100K in equipment. I'd be surprised if it wasn't an inside job. They lost all of the equipment it takes to outfit around five crews or so. The thief or thieves must have made multiple trips because they stole enough equipment to fill a semi trailer at least once. I don't think the thieves have been caught yet but I don't know how you could unload that much stolen equipment without getting caught.

I had two past employee's that work for Sunterra at the time of the theft that both had gotten into trouble in the past. If I were the police I would be looking at Larry Washington and Kennedy Wilson pretty closely. One is an ex-con and the other is on probation and is very lucky to not be an ex-con.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I would think that you sell it to someone that has no idea. I have bought and sold many mowers. Never have I been asked for ID from anyone....Ever! I could have wrote Benjamin Franklin on the bill of sale....Then that guy uses it till he has it serviced and they find the Serial number reported stolen. If it was even reported. Or it is an inside job and they already have a buyer that will never have anything service out of house...Makes you wonder how many people are using stolen equipment and dont even know it....