Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2009, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Big League Lawn Striper?

Hey guys I had a question about the Big League Lawn stripers.. Are these legitimate stripers or should i just go with one straight from the factory? I couldnt tell from the picture whether they were durable or would stand the test of time. I have a 36" Exmark turf tracer hp and I cant find a decently priced striper anywhere. Its like $350 at a retail store here, but the Big League ones are only $290. Is it worth the cheaper price, or should I play it safe and just stick with the Exmark brand one?
Old 08-01-2009, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Both stripers will do the same thing. Most of it will really depend on which one you like the best. Many people have actually built their own striper like the big league lawns one, and they really like the design. However, the one from exmark attatches right to the deck of the mower so you won't have something added on to the length of the mower.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 08-01-2009, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah i did like that about the exmark one. but i think im willing to put up with the added length to my mower if it saves me the money. as long as i dont start stepping on the Big League. i dont know if that has been a problem for anyone at all..
Old 11-21-2009, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitLawns View Post
yeah i did like that about the exmark one. but i think im willing to put up with the added length to my mower if it saves me the money. as long as i dont start stepping on the Big League. i dont know if that has been a problem for anyone at all..

I'm stepping on mine with by Quick Dually. I think I can drill another hole in the attachment hardware to shorten it up some.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
Both stripers will do the same thing. Most of it will really depend on which one you like the best. Many people have actually built their own striper like the big league lawns one, and they really like the design. However, the one from exmark attatches right to the deck of the mower so you won't have something added on to the length of the mower.
Absolutely correct.

I have big league stripers on a couple of mowers and they work fine.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

spend the extra 60 bucks

bunch of other stuff
Old 11-21-2009, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I've ghetto riged a few before, some work but the ones for the machines are better imo. more safe and reliable.

bunch of other stuff
Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been using the Big League for quite a few years now. At least 5.

The Big Leagues striper is going to leave a better stripe than the Exmark striper. The reason for this is because the BL striper is heavy and it rides on the ground. The Exmark roller is attached to the deck and only gets as close to the ground as the back of the deck does. The Exmark roller probably has bearings in it too and those will need to be replaced at some point I'm sure.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I've been using the Big League for quite a few years now. At least 5.

The Big Leagues striper is going to leave a better stripe than the Exmark striper. The reason for this is because the BL striper is heavy and it rides on the ground. The Exmark roller is attached to the deck and only gets as close to the ground as the back of the deck does. The Exmark roller probably has bearings in it too and those will need to be replaced at some point I'm sure.
Richard , the Exmark roller I had on my 36" tthp adjusted down below the deck if you wanted, I found that 1/2 above cutting heights left a very nice stripe as well as serving as a nice anti-scalp device.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I built my own for my Quick 44 and it is very similiar to the big league. I agree it stripes better because it actually follows the contour of the land. I have laid down some incredible stripes with my Quick. I am planning on building one for my Bad Boy over the winter. Check out my posts for some pics of the stiper. They really are not that hard to build your self for half the cost.

Tags
big league striper , exmark , lawn , striper