Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-06-2015, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

All time best screw ups

I did about the dumbest thing I've ever done today and the guys that helped me shared some of their stories. So let's hear yours!

A friend of mine that's retired and just messes around with his backhoe for people took a job digging a basement and he wanted some help from my skid steer

Well when he started he dug a hole on each corner to set a stob to grade..

Well I'm moving dirt that's he's piling up while digging and just backing up (we're in a 5acre field) not really looking behind me and I backed right off in one of the holes he dug to set a stob.. Turned my machine right on its side. It shook me up a little bit but we pulled it back over and went back to work. 😂😂
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2015, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ha that's funny.

Wanna know mine rookie move??

Well last year was my FIRST time ever using a bagger on a mower. And I mean FIRST. so we are on this huge lawn with a mansion on it. I'm just mowin along not realizing that a bagger fills up with grass. (I know crazy right?)

Well anyway all of a sudden it started leaving clumps all over the lawn.... I was like the heck??? So I just keep right on a mowin. Clumps everywhere... finally boss man comes running over laughing and waving his arms.

Oh the bags are full. Huh that's weird. Not! Man I looked so stupid. Boss had a good laugh.
Ended up double cutting that lawn...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2015, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rookie move on my part. New to the whole thing
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2015, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Smashed the side of a dump truck with a skid about 6 years ago. Was dumping mulch or something over the side and slammed the foot pedal accidentally and the boom went down, crushing the side boards, bending the gussets, and leaving me staring straight upwards in the cab.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 12-06-2015, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 that tie in my mind.

Several years ago in Omaha we were contracted to clean parking garages. I loved doing this at the time.... I'd get on the 3-wheeled street sweeper machine and go to town.... well, the backend swings out when you turn because it's the 3rd wheel in back that steers. So I was turning around and the back end swung around and knocked the heck out of this government car (they had an office in the building and parked cars there over the weekend). I hauled (*) back up to 5a, put the sweeper machine in the garage and left. Never heard a word.

Same parking garage was open on the 9th floor (top floor) and when it snowed we cleared it for people to park. So I'm on the tractor pushing the snow to the side.... working along like no one else on earth.... security guard stops me and asks, "Where do you think that snow is going that you are pushing it to the side?". Well, I hadn't really thought about it cuz I was having fun lmao. So I said, "Where?". He said.... "You are pushing it over the side of the building and hitting all the people walking down on the sidewalk!". ooppssss

Note: I wasn't meaning to push it off the side of the building at all. I was trying to pile it all up in a corner.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Stuff happens lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2015, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I lost about 7 pieces of 12 foot sheetrock off a pickup. I had to make a sudden stop onto an on-ramp for a highway. After I stopped I stepped on the pedal Just enough that off they went. Bedliner was very slippery. Worked for free that day
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2015, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Was grading a take off on a dirt bike track I was building for my brother in a Home Depot rented Terex pt30, alongside my wheeled S-205. The small track machine was better on steep grades but the controls are all opposite to my Bobcat. So I ended up getting to the top of the takeoff and pushing the control the wrong way with an empty bucket and went straight back on to the roof. With no seatbelt on of course. So we flipped it back over, oil all in the air filter, topped it back up with oil and put in on the trailer and took it back. They never noticed. Had a busted light and the engine compartment cover was wrecked too. Had a good bruise on the ole head! Lesson learned.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2015, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Married my first wife. Bought a Chevy. Did forecloser/HOA work
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2015, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixray View Post
married my first wife. Did forecloser/hoa work
posted via mobile device
.....+2.....