Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2011, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltzie View Post
I was looking at a 10 wheeler dump truck...but the 5 ton trucks caught my eye. I bet they would make a heck of a plow truck. The 5 ton trucks were going for less than 2 grand.
I the M800 series of trucks or are the newer 915 series. I'd stay away from the 20 ton's the drop axel was mashed in from another company and constantly has problems, ours lower but don't want to raise. The older 5 ton's that been fitted with a automatic trans tends to shift a little on the hard side when the truck is empty, that and I don't like how the fuel filter hangs off the frame rail but all around tough truck. With being a true 6x6 would make it a awesome plow truck. Up to a few years ago a school district used a its small cousin (M35 2 1/2 ton) with a 11ft blade and a 6 foot wing to plow the high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Construct'O View Post
Back when i was in active Army(long time ago ) as long as you had work scheduled like oil leaks and parts that needed replaced, on order then the machine wasn't deadline.

Key here was as long as it was in the log book !!!!!!! machine would't move(in motor pool) but part was on order or back ordered it was on the ready list not deadlined.

We had more machines in the motor pool that was not able too move then was able!

Company went on field exercises and lost three machine(tanks) before they hardly got out of the motorpool.The llog book said they was ready tho ,but in reallity they wasn't.Paint look real good !!!!
LOL paint isn't part of PMCS but up here it should, as our equipment sits so much it seems to loss a 100lbs of rust a year. The Army has gone great lengths to lessen there enviromental impact, plus lower their loss of equipment due to inadequte maintenance and service checks. Plus they dumbed it way down to make it almost idiot proof. The old log books been replaced with a form that is submitted with a completed dispatch, where then the motor pool addresses any issues. Thing is you can get a Article if something breaks on your truck, such as if you don't check the oil and the motor seizes up.

I have to update my sig, but we are not (Combat) anymore, but when I was in the 961st they were a heavy combat engineering unit. Part of the MTOW was gear to do combat drops from C-130's. Forgot what it was called I only did it once but instead of just using a block of concrete, they had a old D7F with the ROPS cut off they would kick out the back of a airplane about 100ft off the ground. The dozer was inop and just used as a training aid, and not using a D7G the current issue as it doing this destroy's the suspension/track systems. But if you need to rough in a airstrip, got to have equipment on the ground.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 01-17-2011, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Did I see a Unimog with a loader and back hoe????

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 01-17-2011, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Looks like two there! Thats friggin sweet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Foot View Post
Buy what makes you happy. You're the one thats gonna make the payments .....
Old 01-18-2011, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieWonka1850 View Post
Looks like two there! Thats friggin sweet!!
Yes, its called a SEE (Small Emplacement Excavator) truck, they are dinosaurs or relics that went away when the new Case Backhoes where introduced. Same concept of a backhoe, but high moblity, and higher speed (16 Forward, and 8 Reverse Gears). The thing can take on a ton of mud and still crawl through it. The purpose was to dig fighting positions and machine gun nests for the Infantry, should they ever need to dig in, but be fast enough to keep up within a convoy or armor. Even has Hydralics off the side to run a chain saw, rock drill, and a jackhammer (I'm sure you can run more as the fittings appeared to be standard skidsteer fittings)

Its kind of a mut, its a mish mash of manufactures. It has a Mercedes Diesel engine, but the back hoe is by Case. The other thing is it has no armored cab on the folding backhoe if its for digging in the infantry and they are in that much trouble, probably not the best place to be stuck in the air. I didn't like it cause talk about a tiny cab heck the engine and trans sit right next to you.

I though they were kind of neat, and my first thought was to ditch the front bucket and put on a snow plow. Small little plow truck

Old 01-28-2011, 05:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

More picture time. Some of these are from the day job.

My little Dodge, after hitting a turkey, doesn't have the tool box anymore.

And my Ford after fixing it and putting it up for sale. Bought it for $650, sold for $2300

Last edited by Swampy; 01-28-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is that a TORO WAM I see? How big and what amount do you mow with it?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
Is that a TORO WAM I see? How big and what amount do you mow with it?
Yes, Its a 580-D 16 foot wideth, as amount wise well it can cut a entire school district which is easily over 30 acres in about 6 hours.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have never ran a 580-d. I have two 455-D toro's and yes those machines will cut some grass and make some time. I assume you mow that many acres since you have the machine?

Were doing yearly maintanence right now. Filters, oil, hydro's, brake adjustments, etc. Theres alot to these machines to keep running.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
I have never ran a 580-d. I have two 455-D toro's and yes those machines will cut some grass and make some time. I assume you mow that many acres since you have the machine?

Were doing yearly maintanence right now. Filters, oil, hydro's, brake adjustments, etc. Theres alot to these machines to keep running.
Its not mine but its the day job's and I'm the Super for a small grass cutter, which the owner really doesn't pertake in the daily operations. I use it every where I can, it sits on the trailer with one of the 60in ZTR's. I figured it out with the school properties that the machine replaces around 3.5 to 4 ZTR's in a field, the only bad thing is if the machine is out of service your cutting it with ZTR's (and break down from sheering bolts, throwing belts, hydro hoses looseing up). One thing I like with the larger machine is that like the school district its unloaded at the middle school and roaded to elemtery schools.

We use to run a 455-D, 10ft out front, along with the 580-D. Awesome combo when they were together mowing a 17 building school district, along with a subdivisons park system. Ended up getting rid of the 455 cause of the high hours, around 4500hr, and couldn't replace it because the money wasn't there . If I had to choose between the two I would have a 455 over the 580, just fits better everywhere and the wings become a nusiance once in a while.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Going to have a new addition tomorrow, and I'm pumped. I'll get some pics up soon but its a 98 6.5L DIESEL 160K miles 3500 4x4. Super pumped first diesel that I own.