Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can find out some of these things, age, transportation, etc in other ways. You can legally ask for their SSN and Drivers License Number. With that alone you can most likely find out the rest. Also have to do your own investigating too ya know.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Ya I get it but how many illegals have bogus documents? I have never had to hire anyone but I doubt that a decent background check can be conducted by your average business owner.

I'm just on a soapbox about the state of our country these days, that's all. I wish there was an old salty bastard to slap the piss out of all the idiots out there that's all Judges/lawyers, celebs, politicians, etc included. Basically anyone who has not an ounce of common sense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2009, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My questions depend on the job their being hired for. What all must bring to the interview regardless of the job they are interviewing for are, References with contact info, SS card, drivers license or proof of age 18 or over. I haven't done alot of hireing recently.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout113 View Post
Ya I get it but how many illegals have bogus documents? I have never had to hire anyone but I doubt that a decent background check can be conducted by your average business owner.

I'm just on a soapbox about the state of our country these days, that's all. I wish there was an old salty bastard to slap the piss out of all the idiots out there that's all Judges/lawyers, celebs, politicians, etc included. Basically anyone who has not an ounce of common sense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Their is the goverments E-Verifiy website, But I hear the Kenyon is closeing it down becouse it discriminates and or is not fair to the..the.. Ahem...."visitors"
Old 08-04-2009, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

That's my point exactly.

Now I want everyone to know I'm not sure exactly where I stand yet on immigration b/c of the fact at one point we were all decendants from immigrants illegal or otherwise and the whole "give us your poor, unwanted etc..." BUT, I see first hand how it has very serious repercussions and strains all parts of our economy.

My biggest problem comes from a gov't that's says its illegal to hire illegal aliens but the very same gov't says its illegal to ask if you're hiring an illegal? Get ya coming and going the way I see it.

You see I tend to be a pretty fair/balanced guy who can generally see both sides of an argument but when the balance is disrupted I tend to get pretty irritated and voice my opinion.

The other thing that's pisses me off is that as a result of all this lack of common sense crap / lawsuit happy society we live in has caused everyone to think that they need to be "politically correct" in what they say or do. Bulls**t!!! We need to quit being such pu**ies and get back to our roots of being strong minded, intelligent, no nonsense group of folks that called a spade a spade. Enough of this worrying about hurting others feelings if the need to tell them the truth is obvious. I'm not saying to cut down people for fun or not generally be a decent person, I'm saying quit beating around the bush already. Damn, I'm fired up now...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2009, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout113 View Post
That's my point exactly.

My biggest problem comes from a gov't that's says its illegal to hire illegal aliens but the very same gov't says its illegal to ask if you're hiring an illegal? Get ya coming and going the way I see it.

Posted via Mobile Device
I'm pretty sure that it is quite legal to demand proper ID and a matching Soc Sec number. No ID and SS#, no hire. Every time I have been hired for a job, I had to show ID (passport or Birt Cert plus photo ID) and Soc Sec card. My recruiter wife tells me I am correct. But maybe we are wrong.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 08-04-2009, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There are very cheap online background check services. Make sure that the applicant fills out and sign an application which states clearly that they will be checked. You fax the aqpplication to the service, pay $25 or so, and they run the check. Criminal, credit, job history, you name it!

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 08-04-2009, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

mine is , you got a license, when can you start and have you got any court dates coming up.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My questions are as follows:
1. Do you have a DL, what is the number, is the license valid at this time?
2. Describe how you would get to work on time - if it is a car/motorcycle/p-u or a fat chick, what year and condition is it in and who else operates it?
3. Are you currently or with-in the last 6 months ever been prescribed drugs which would not recommend you to operate powered agricultural equipment?
4. Are you subject to involuntary or court ordered judgments, payments, garnishment of wages, etc?
5. Are you physically capable of working for 8 hours per day in extreme temperatures, hot or cold? If not - why not?
6. Have you performed this type of work before, if so with whom/what company?
7. May we contact the person/company? - If the answer is no then the interview stops until clarification is received. If the answer is not satisfactory then = "get out of my office"!
Question 8 is pretty much the last question to pass - if the interviewee declines = "get out of my office!". When, with-in the next seven days will you be available to submit to a urinalysis?
After all of these questions are answered satisfactorily then and only then is a urinalysis scheduled. Should the perp pass this then we talk start times.
So far in the last nine months I have had thirty four responses to advertisements for hire and only two passed the piss test. Of these two one was a convicted armed robber who actually turned out to be a good employee for two months then he moved out of the area. The second one ended up lasting less than one week - came in with a new prescription for alleged "back and knee pain" incurred on the job but the prescription was dated for three weeks prior to the start date. Checked with the prescribing physician and the info was for someone else - the perp boosted the prescription.
I have had three interviewees protest to my state's employment commission and these questions passed muster so I'm staying with them.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats more along the lines of what I was looking for. Thank You txgrassguy