Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 08-04-2009, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustler Z 52" / 19hp Kawasaki

Hello,
I just recently purchased a 2006 HustlerZ 52/19. I have to say that after looking at the other machines on the market, the Hustler is the best for the money spent in terms of workmanship, design and warranty. HOWEVER, I have found it VERY discouraging to deal with Hustler on the Dealer side of the business. I bought mine used and if I had to purchase one new from the dealer, I would have made the choice to go with a different brand. I am sure there are great dealers out there, but in my area, I think the franchise sold to the highest bidder without ANY consideration for product support or marketing.
Upon getting my mower, I wanted to do the full servicing from end to end. I get a manual, I read up on the mower, I make an approximate list of things I would need, and I head to the nearest Hustler dealer (who has been carrying the Hustler line for 6 months). I walk in the shop and proclaim to be a proud Hustler owner.... The owner/counter man said "I'm sorry... you should have let me sell you a SCAG....." This is when I knew the 20 mile trip was going to be bad. My list consisted of inner and outer air filter, engine oil filter, hydro filter, Hydro oil additive, a hydro breather cap, a spare set of spindle bearings to have on hand, and a set of blades.
Of the items on my list, the engine filter and the air filters were all that they had. That was $85. The other items (except blades) were "order only" for an additional $118. I was also told that if I wanted to bring the mower to them, they would see if they could match it up to a filter in the SCAG line to save me some money. As for the blades I was told that the blades I had on my mower were not in the catalog and had been discontinued. They said that the "wavy blade" idea just didn't pan out for Hustler, but they would be glad to try to help match up something that would work. They handed me some flat Oregon blade that matched the length and hole size. Oh, and the spindle bearings would have to be crossed over ....if I would dissassemble the spindle and bring the bearings to them.
To be totally honest, I left there with my head held low and I was feeling a little ashamed that I had bought a Hustler. What was I thinking? ... I had purchased a 3 year old mower that was basically obsolete and the manufacturer had abandoned parts for..... and the parts that were available were way too expensive. I was really kicking myself now. To add insult to injury, I had pulled the filters and the mower was on the jacks draining while I was gone for parts. Now I was headed home without enough parts to put it back together to cut my grass. I had not even taken the first pass around the yard and already the mower was stranded, I was $200+ poorer, I had a 2 week wait for the rest of the parts and my nice mulching mower had been reduced to a flat bladed resemblance of the mower it once had been due to the factory dropping the blades..
I now turned to the net to see if I could locate some old stock replacement blades on ebay. LOW AND BEHOLD, I find blades and I find filters, and I find belts and I even found this forum. I fould out that the Hydro additive that I had just paid $40 for, was no longer being used and the weight had been changed on the hydro oil. ..... I found tech tips. I found that nothing is obsolete unless superceeded by a better version of the same. I found customer support for the masses even if it was remote. I also found that the customer support network was WAY different that my first exposure.
My mower is fabulous. Call me Forest Gump, cause I could cut all day and most of the night(if I had a light kit). The quality is great. The maintenance is easy. BUT, If I have a question, I either figure it out on my own, or I hit the net. If I need parts, I go to my local Exmark dealer (who does not sell Hustler, but can get parts from aftermarket sources... they aren't factory parts, but I can get them without waiting 2 weeks and draining my bank account).
Hustler will never have a market share in the Central GA area without having the dealers to promote, support, and to back up the product. Shame on you for not ensuring ownership, product knowledge, and loyalty within the dealer network.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am sorry for your bad dealer experience, can you please e-mail me the dealer information and I will find out whats happening here.
I can assure you every single part on your mower is current and available.
We have a regional distribution center near the ATL airport that supplies every dealer in GA and if the part is not in stock at the dealer the part can be to the dealer the next day easily.
The part # for the wavy blade is 794198.
Again I apologize and please e-mail me the dealer information so I can prevent this in the future.

Pj
Old 08-07-2009, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks and 'Hats Off' to Hustler

In my earlier post, I expressed my lack of satisfaction with the Hustler Dealer network and Customer Service. Since that posting I have been contacted by PJ and by the Georgia Distributor of Hustler Mowers. Details of the issues were communicated to these Gentlemen and I must say that any preconceived notions I may have had about the focus on the customer were definitely wrong. These Gentlemen have made every effort to assure me that the experience I had was NOT the norm for Hustler or their Dealers. My respect for the equipment was always 100%. Now, thanks to their efforts, my respect for the Customer Support end of the business has been restored to 100% as well.

At the time of this post, the bulk of the issues have been fully dealt with and resolved. I trust that future discussions will be equally as fruitful as those we have had at this point in time and any outstanding issues will be resolved. Either way, I think that progress has been made and everyone is working to see to it that these types of issues do not happen in the future. They take it very seriously when their name is being challenged.

Once again, I want to say a big THANKS to all who were involved. Trust me on this one folks.... They do see and listen to what is being said and they will pull out all the stops to fix the problem.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am glad to hear this was taken care of ASAP.

Pj
Old 08-08-2009, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

My hat is off to P.J. and the customer support group as well. Some times, for some reason, things turn sour - but fear not, discuss it here and the problem or issue will be taken care... I know. Regards.

Pete
Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfella View Post
My hat is off to P.J. and the customer support group as well. Some times, for some reason, things turn sour - but fear not, discuss it here and the problem or issue will be taken care... I know. Regards.

Pete
Thank you, we do our absolute best to take care of our customers.

Pj
Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Disappointed customer

A COUPLE WEEKS I BROKE A DECK BELT ON MY MACHINE,,SO I CALLED A NEW DEALERSHIP AND ASKED IF THEY HAD A BELT FOR MY 07 MINI Z THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO ORDER ME ONE WHICH WOULD TAKE A FEW DAY TO GET ONE,,,LONG STORY SHORT I CALLED A FORMER HUSTLER DEALER,,AND THEY HAD ONE IN STOCK,,,THEY REALLY HELPED ME,,,BEING IN LAWNCARE,,,I COULD NOT WAIT A FEW DAY'S FOR PARTS I'VE NEVER HEARD ANY ONE SELLING HUSTLER PRODUCTS,,,AND DIDN'T HAVE PARTS ON HAND,,BEFORE THIS ISSUE NEEDS TO BE LOOKED IN TO
Old 10-12-2009, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Being a new dealer they may not have their initial parts stock yet? or they may not stock the belt yet due to no history if selling it.
Regardless the belt could of been there the next day, we have a distribution center in Atlanta and there isn't a dealer in GA that UPS cant have the parts to the next day.
Sorry for your experience.
Email me the dealer information and I can find out why they said it would be a few days.

Pj
Old 10-25-2009, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can feel your pain.

I was very interested in a Hustler ZTR 3 years ago. I just happened to have a dealer close to work. His displays were sitting outside with grass growing up through them. Did they think I was going to spend that kind of $$$ on a mower in the weeds? I see now they offer them on Craigslist as "aged units" http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/1428191905.html

I have a relative who buys equipment for work. I told him about the Hustler and he was very interested in them. Stopped into that dealer and said parts were hard to get on them.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL50 View Post
I have a relative who buys equipment for work. I told him about the Hustler and he was very interested in them. Stopped into that dealer and said parts were hard to get on them.
Parts are not hard to get on the Hustler units.
In your area if the dealer doesn't have them in stock they can be there the next day, we have a distribution center in Ohio.

Pj