Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2000, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

After spending more time under an MTD lawnmower-15hp,single cyl,42in cut-than actually using it over the past 7 seasons i am ready for a better mousetrap. The question I have is an obvious one. What should I buy to cut three acres, once or twice a week for the next ten years? Cost is important, but so is time. I want to get the job done in the shortest possible time with the least amount of hassle. There must be a better way than just buying a higher end rider like the one the local JD and Cub Cad dealers want to sell me. Any advice is very much appreciated by one who basically likes doing the yardwork but doesn't want to be totally bogged down with just the grass cutting portion of it every week! Thanks!
Old 07-09-2000, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They are probobly trying to sell you a (ZTR) Zero Turn Radius riding mower. Don't think you need to go that route, all though they are great machines!! Check out a 48&quot; or up walk behind mower with a sulky. Talk to your dealer and bring that up. It will be a lot faster and a better cut then your MTD, and if maintained right, the mower will out live you with the ammount of use you say your going to put on it. Hope this helps. E-mail me if you need any more help. guido1@surf1.de<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 07-09-2000, 04:40 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

mpnobel: I have chatted with a lot of homeowners that have gone to a Dixie Chopper for mowing their own lawns. Homeowners have gotten fed up with the tractor type mowers that break down so much. I have been using DC's for the past 7 seasons and they are almost bullet proof. I have had next to no problems with my oldest one that has 2,920 hours on it now. They do now make a less expensive Dixie Chopper without all the bells and whistles for $5895 with a 19HP Kaw. engine and a 60&quot; deck, called an Estate. You could mow your 3 acres in an hour easy once you get used to operating it. If you want to see what kind of job a DC mower does, check out the lawn pictures on my website. Email me if you have any more questions on this.<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 07-09-2000, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi,<p>If you are going to spend that much then go with the Dixie Chopper or a Walker with a side discharge deck. Just my 1 cents worth.<p>Doc Scrub
Old 07-11-2000, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I am currently looking at two different walk<br>behinds. The Lesco 48&quot; w/15hp kawasaki. And <br>the Bobcat 48&quot; w/15hp kohler. Both are gear driven. I was told a price of $2499 each. I would appreciate suggestions or comment on which would be the better buy.<br>Thanks
Old 07-11-2000, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

cosmo--go with the better dealer.<p>I run a lesco 48 belt with a 14 kaw. I swear by my experience with it but I've had little interaction with my dealer (which is one reason I love the lesco)!<p>GEO
Old 07-12-2000, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are on the right track because there are pros and cons to both ZTR's as well as walk behinds but these type mowers are in a different league from the lawn tractors. I started out with a garden tractor and broke it many times in 2 years. After I bought a Walker I cut my mowing time per week almost in half. <br>Cost has to be a factor but if you put out a little extra for a commercial type mower you will be pleased with the quickness, quality of cut, as well as easier maintenance when required. Good Luck.
Old 07-14-2000, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought a house with 1.3 acres of grass on some fairly steep hills. I spent almost 6 months debating between a lawn tractor and a commercial walk behind. There is now a 48&quot; Exmark Turf Tracer in my garage. Here is why I went with the walk behind.<p>To get a good tractor (Simplicity, Deer, Cadet) to do an acre fast, they are about $4500. The the walk behind I got is $4500 new. Essentially no price difference. I got mine used so I saved over a grand.<p>The walk behind is significantly faster. <br>The walk behind will not roll over on a hill like a tractor. <br>The walk behind has a commercial engine on it. They are designed to run for almost 3-4x as many hours. Compare them and you will find big differences.<br>If you don't want to walk, you can get a sulky, slide, or something for a walk behind.<br>The walk behinds also are made of much thicker steel, and have parts that are easily removed and replaced if necessary.<br>Remember, the walk behinds are built to run 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Lawn tractors are not.<br>The floating decks on some walk behinds seem significantly more capable of floating than most tractors. Exmark and Toro seemed to be the best, both the others were not bad.<br>With a commercial mower, you will tend to get service faster than some clown with his lawnbug. I have been told the order of repair is commercial guy, homeowner with commercial equipment, homeowner with junk.<p><br>The only drawback of the walkbehind is that a tractor allows you to pull a cart around. I bought a wheelbarrow and it seems to work just fine.<p>I would highly recommend a commercial mower. Hydro drives are nice, but not necessary. Look for a good used one. They are out there. <p>Brento
Old 07-27-2000, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you're looking at the Cub or even the Lesco, save your time and $$$, they're both manufactured by MTD. The Deeres are nice, but nice priced too. The Exmark atleast you know you can't go wrong- even if it's just the Metro. Just stay away from the lighter gauged steel, smaller handlebars and such because you can BET that the spindles and other components are junk. If you have ditches or semi steep hills, then the walk behind is surely your best bet.
Old 08-19-2000, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Metro HP=your best bet

Well, i would have to say that it sounds like you are in the market for a Exmark walk behind. The Metro HP is definately your best bet. I own a 48" metro HP and love it, stay away from the cheaper "standard metro" It'll work but it's not made to last like the HP...Now if you were thinking of an Exmark Lazer Z, zero turn mower, consider this, the deck on that is the same one as on the Metro, the blades spin at the same speed 18,500 rpm, it cuts the same, the only differnce is how you get the deck around your yard, that differnce will cost you about $4,500 or more. If you are going to get the Metro, or any walk behind for that matter, buy a velke(sulky). This will turn your walk behind into a rider=the best of both worlds! They cost about $2-300, but are way worth it! Best of luck and i hope that you are happy with your new machine.