Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Website Price

Hi guys, I am in the process of planning a website. Someone on this site recommended IM Design Group in Kansas. I called them today and Scott said that it would cost between $1500-$2500 for them to build the site. What do you gentlemen think? George
Old 08-06-2009, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

That's about normal for a regional design firm, however I visited their site and want to make a few observations.

1. Flash on their website doesn't work(for me it asks me to install flash player 6, I am using the standard flash player 10 w/ no problems anywhere else). For a development firm this is a huge no no. If you can't make something work for yourself you shouldn't be doing it for someone else.

2. Looking through their portfolio is difficult to navigate. I'm unsure what it is they actually did on the site(redesign, strategy, design, programming) and if they did any of the work themselves(many firms contract work out to lower costs).

3. They aren't a web development firm. They are a media firm that happens to also do web design. Usually this is more for convenience so that they can provide a broader array of services to larger clients who don't want to handle multiple providers.

4. Most of their designs are very dated and look unprofessional. I wouldn't pay 100 bucks for these designs much less 1500-2500 considering the quality.

Bottom line for that kind of money, if your smart you can get a high quality design with development/programming or you can get equal quality for a much lower price. These kinds of design groups are like dealing with a used car salesman. They'll do anything to get you signed up.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Mike,will do. George
Old 08-07-2009, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Shop around, website design is a wild card, hosting's another and so is marketing, I say watch out for these jokers.

More money with these wild cards doesn't mean a thing, they still code it crappy but it looks good on the surface.
Unless you're an experienced coder you won't see the flaws but looking behind the scenes I dare say MOST of them
turn out crap code, they wouldn't know the difference between an attribute for a tag when used for the transitional
versus the strict version in a standardized language, if they even know what that means, as just one example.
Nor do they care, they'll even tell you it doesn't matter but the engines your visitors will disagree, crap code
creates browser, program, server and client side, subroutine, and other errors, many of them invisible to the naked eye
but noticeable nonetheless.

That having been said you can get a great site for a whole lot less than that, now I
can't tell you how much but just take your time and I mean don't be in a hurry!

Talk to some folks, friends, you know, get some opinions.

Last edited by topsites; 08-07-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Shop around. Website design is competitive so pricing varies. I can make a decent site alot cheaper than that. I think that spending a couple of hours talking to your web guy about what to do with the site to actually gain traffic is as important as the look and feel of the site. It is more than seo also.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

It's tough to say. Web design has some similarities to landscaping; what you pay depends on what the company plans to do for you, and also depends on the company you're talking to. I would say that you probably could find a website cheaper, and you certainly can find more expensive. It depends on what you want, and what type of company you want to deal with.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
That's about normal for a regional design firm, however I visited their site and want to make a few observations.

1. Flash on their website doesn't work(for me it asks me to install flash player 6, I am using the standard flash player 10 w/ no problems anywhere else). For a development firm this is a huge no no. If you can't make something work for yourself you shouldn't be doing it for someone else.

2. Looking through their portfolio is difficult to navigate. I'm unsure what it is they actually did on the site(redesign, strategy, design, programming) and if they did any of the work themselves(many firms contract work out to lower costs).

3. They aren't a web development firm. They are a media firm that happens to also do web design. Usually this is more for convenience so that they can provide a broader array of services to larger clients who don't want to handle multiple providers.

4. Most of their designs are very dated and look unprofessional. I wouldn't pay 100 bucks for these designs much less 1500-2500 considering the quality.

Bottom line for that kind of money, if your smart you can get a high quality design with development/programming or you can get equal quality for a much lower price. These kinds of design groups are like dealing with a used car salesman. They'll do anything to get you signed up.
I agree 100%!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Member

There are so many free to fairly cheap templates out there, that a decent site can be set-up by someone with little to no experience. Just google web templates, there are thousands of them out there. Also, there is a company, I think its www.greenindustrywebsites.com, that specializes in websites for our industry.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

This is the business I am in.

I represent a Architect/Landscape Architect firm in central Minnesota.

They went with a flash site and if you do that you need to realize it is very difficult to achieve high organic search engine results.

I would recommend using an easy to use CMS system that is more like a blog. That way you can keep content flowing into your site. You'll rank a lot higher because of it.. especially if you are building links to you site.

Blogs have been stigmatized as functioning only as a weblog. They aren't just that. They can function just as well as static pages/site. So you should check into it. A basic WordPress install and basic page setup can be as cheap as 500$.

Check out the "Architecture" theme by itheme's for WordPress. It's a beautiful theme (one of the best and looks as good as many flash sites) for 79$.

It's just an idea.. there are many paths to pursue. Just make sure you shop around and make sure the company will do everything they promise. Also, if you are not happy with them for any reason. Drop them! I see so many people suffering with old webmasters/companies that are horrible with returning phone calls and are notorious for completing projects very late.