Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Tom'sLandscapeDesign Tom'sLandscapeDesign is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Massachusetts
Posts: 200
Got my hedge trimmer stolen..but I got it back!

So I show up at a house today ready to trim some hedges. My brand new Stihl FS90R with HL135 gearbox was in my trailer with my blower and string trimmers.

I did a walk around the house, back to the truck, 10 minutes later(!) and Im short the hedge trimmer system!

So I left, called the customer and told her I couldnt do the job today.

I look on Craigslist for a trimmer so I could do the job (and get paid so I could buy a new setup) and posted about 10 minutes before I checked, was a "Stihl FS90R Hedge Trimmer" and he was asking $300.

I knew right then it was mine, so I start a plan. I called, offered him $200 and agreed on $250. I tell him to meet behind K-Mart.

I called one of my friends who is 6'8" and north of 300lbs. He brought along his friend Mr. Glock.

I head off to K-Mart in my truck and trailer (the one that the trimmer was stolen out of). I see a pickup truck backed up against the wall, so I assumed it was him. I block him in with my truck.

Me and my friend jump out of our truck, he jumps out of his. I asked to see it, and he pulls MY TRIMMER out of the back of his truck. At this point, I dont think this kid realized that he stole it out of the trailer that was now blocking his exit.

I ask him to start it for me. Now, if anyone owns a FS90R, they know theres a starting sequence. He couldnt get it started.

I grab it, look at him, pointed at my trailer, and said "Thats the truck you stole this out of this morning." and his face turns. I tell him "Either I take this and you leave under your own power, or we beat the living sh!t out of you, take the trimmer, and have the police pick you up in an ambulance."

He backs off and says "Its yours man. I dont want any trouble!"

Part of me wishes he wouldve resisted so we couldve kicked his a$$, and part of me still wishes I wouldve called the police after I got my trimmer back, but Im just glad I got it back.

And that's my story!
__________________
Tom's - Father & Son Operation

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed
2009 Big Tex 5x10 Solid Sided Trailer
Ferris & Honda Mowers
Stihl, Husqvarna & Echo Handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Mowbizz Mowbizz is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salem NH
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom'sLandscapeDesign View Post
So I show up at a house today ready to trim some hedges. My brand new Stihl FS90R with HL135 gearbox was in my trailer with my blower and string trimmers.

I did a walk around the house, back to the truck, 10 minutes later(!) and Im short the hedge trimmer system!

So I left, called the customer and told her I couldnt do the job today.

I look on Craigslist for a trimmer so I could do the job (and get paid so I could buy a new setup) and posted about 10 minutes before I checked, was a "Stihl FS90R Hedge Trimmer" and he was asking $300.

I knew right then it was mine, so I start a plan. I called, offered him $200 and agreed on $250. I tell him to meet behind K-Mart.

I called one of my friends who is 6'8" and north of 300lbs. He brought along his friend Mr. Glock.

I head off to K-Mart in my truck and trailer (the one that the trimmer was stolen out of). I see a pickup truck backed up against the wall, so I assumed it was him. I block him in with my truck.

Me and my friend jump out of our truck, he jumps out of his. I asked to see it, and he pulls MY TRIMMER out of the back of his truck. At this point, I dont think this kid realized that he stole it out of the trailer that was now blocking his exit.

I ask him to start it for me. Now, if anyone owns a FS90R, they know theres a starting sequence. He couldnt get it started.

I grab it, look at him, pointed at my trailer, and said "Thats the truck you stole this out of this morning." and his face turns. I tell him "Either I take this and you leave under your own power, or we beat the living sh!t out of you, take the trimmer, and have the police pick you up in an ambulance."

He backs off and says "Its yours man. I dont want any trouble!"

Part of me wishes he wouldve resisted so we couldve kicked his a$$, and part of me still wishes I wouldve called the police after I got my trimmer back, but Im just glad I got it back.

And that's my story!
What the heck man...I would have made him lay face down in the dirt (let him think about what kinda crap he's in) while the cops came...dang it he's gonna be out stealing again tomorrow. I'm glad you got your property back but I think you handled this scumbag wrong. He has no problem taking your hard earned property and making a quick buck on it...you released him to go do it again. To boot, he may try to hit you again now that he knows your area...you messed up.
__________________
2004 Ford F250 ext. cab Lariat
EZ Dumper Short Bed Dump Insert 2009
Billy Goat Force 9HP Honda
Redmax EBZ8001 Backpack Blower
Stihl FS90 string trimmer
Stihl Kombi 130 System w/cultivator/trimmer/edger/power brooms
SnoWay 29 series 8ft plow
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-2009, 10:49 PM
metiernan metiernan is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 74
One thing I try and do with my equipment is mark my name on it somewhere where most people won't look then if Im ever in a situation like that I can show it to them and look at the look on there face.

Glad you got it back, you should have made him come help you on the job for the trouble he caused.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 PM
whoopassonthebluegrass's Avatar
whoopassonthebluegrass whoopassonthebluegrass is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Benson, UT
Posts: 4,063
Drama! Best you didn't open a can on him. Hopefully he'll be too scared to do it again.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Mahoney3223's Avatar
Mahoney3223 Mahoney3223 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: midwest
Posts: 992
hell ya! you should have shot him!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Tom'sLandscapeDesign Tom'sLandscapeDesign is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Massachusetts
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowbizz View Post
What the heck man...I would have made him lay face down in the dirt (let him think about what kinda crap he's in) while the cops came...dang it he's gonna be out stealing again tomorrow. I'm glad you got your property back but I think you handled this scumbag wrong. He has no problem taking your hard earned property and making a quick buck on it...you released him to go do it again. To boot, he may try to hit you again now that he knows your area...you messed up.
Like I said, part of me wishes I wouldve made sure this guy didnt leave under his own power, but its too late now.

If the cops wouldve come, my trimmer wouldve been taken as evidence until trial. That could be months..even years. I spent north of $500 THIS MORNING on the setup because I NEEDED it to do the job.

All my fishing stuff is coming out of the bed of my truck and anything that can be carried is going in there now under my locking tonneau cover.
__________________
Tom's - Father & Son Operation

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed
2009 Big Tex 5x10 Solid Sided Trailer
Ferris & Honda Mowers
Stihl, Husqvarna & Echo Handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Tom'sLandscapeDesign Tom'sLandscapeDesign is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Massachusetts
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by metiernan View Post
One thing I try and do with my equipment is mark my name on it somewhere where most people won't look then if Im ever in a situation like that I can show it to them and look at the look on there face.

Glad you got it back, you should have made him come help you on the job for the trouble he caused.
I try to mark my equipment too, but I left my house, went to the dealer, then went to the customer's. Seriously, it was 30 minutes between the time I swiped my card to pay for it to teh time it was gone.
__________________
Tom's - Father & Son Operation

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed
2009 Big Tex 5x10 Solid Sided Trailer
Ferris & Honda Mowers
Stihl, Husqvarna & Echo Handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-06-2009, 11:01 PM
whoopassonthebluegrass's Avatar
whoopassonthebluegrass whoopassonthebluegrass is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Benson, UT
Posts: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom'sLandscapeDesign View Post
Seriously, it was 30 minutes between the time I swiped my card to pay for it to teh time it was gone.
Man, that's almost as fast as Pelosi and Reid can do it!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-06-2009, 11:11 PM
THEGOLDPRO's Avatar
THEGOLDPRO THEGOLDPRO is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CONNECTICUT
Posts: 5,190
i woulda b1tch slapped him for good measure.
__________________
Official THEGOLDPRO fan club.HERE
2012 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2011 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-06-2009, 11:18 PM
fastcat's Avatar
fastcat fastcat is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: monroe, north carolina
Posts: 811
i cant put on the internet what i would have done. everything i had was stolen last weekend.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 AM.

Page generated in 0.11816 seconds with 7 queries