Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2009, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Cast transformer

What do you thing about cast transformer.they seems very nice a helpful.the terminal lugs,switch to common.what about there warranty,are they tough.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lugs are too small, wiring compartment is too small, does not hold voltage under load very well. Just my experience though, some guys love em. Their fixtures are pretty rugged.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 08-11-2009, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Soft start is real nice. But that can be hardwired into any mdl unit
Old 08-11-2009, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

How many wire that you can put in a lug...
Old 08-11-2009, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

We have a pile of em out there. The installed and hooked up ones have had zero issues. Had some issues with MDL from various resellers but it is usually an issue right out of the box. Issues have ranged from poor connections at common inside to overheating units. Relays were problematic on a couple of runs. Some of ours are going on 4 yrs now. They were always replaced without question.

The lugs are not to small per se if you stick with 900w max but the wiring compartment is something of a headache to work in. I do agree the extra common can be a huge help when distributing loads but make sure you understand how this works and you still cannot exceed the rated overall load on the trans.

Oh and BTW the only ones I have used are the stainless ones
Old 08-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly Prof. Lighting View Post
Lugs are too small, wiring compartment is too small, does not hold voltage under load very well. Just my experience though, some guys love em. Their fixtures are pretty rugged.
I need to interject here and hope the moderator will allow me to address the comments in this thread.

Lugs. The lugs in all CAST transformers are the biggest in the industry.

Holding voltage. The CAST transformers hold voltage under load as well, or better, than all other toroidal and EI-type transformers. See the results of a comparative test: http://www.cast-lighting.com/learnin...ion_article_53

Wiring space. The wiring compartment of our Master Series transformers was enlarged last year, to nearly double the available space.

Relays. We recently upgraded our relays in all our transformers to improve their reliability.

Thanks for allowing me to address these points.

stevep@voltlighting.com

Outdoor Lighting and LED Light Bulbs from VOLT®.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have not had any problems with Cast Transformers. No problems with voltages, and no issues with room inside. I have been using all the Journeyman series. In the photos are a 900watt on the left and a 600 watt on the right. The 900 has seven number 12awg wires coming into it and I personally feel that there is still lots of room left to work with. Just my 2 cents.

Ken
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2009, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice clean work there Ken.

Steve, I will be honest and say I have not looked at a new cast trans since the inrush issues. If these issues you speak of have been addressed then Kudos to Cast for continuing to evolve the product line.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have installed 6 Cast transformers, Jouneyman and Master. I have yet to find a legimate complaint. They work flawlessly.

I do have one question for Steve. Are these transformers made by MDL?
I used a demo kit and a Cast logo sticker was placed over a Kichler sticker? My distributor said MDL makes transformers for many companies, including Cast.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I have used pretty much exclusively Cast and Unique fixtures my entire lighting career (with the exception of a dreadful Vista experiment which will never be repeated), but use exclusively Cast transformers. Never had a problem with space in the lugs or wiring compartment, using 300 to 1500 watt transformers, and job sizes from 5 lights to just shy of 100. Never had a voltage problem, always performed extremely well. I have had perhaps less than 5 total issues in the 6 years I have used their transformers, and every issue was resolved quickly with no questions asked. Reps have always been great and customer service has always been great to boot. Rock solid transformer. I'm not taking a shot here because everyone uses whatever they feel is best for them, but from reading Tim's posts, he is a dedicated Unique guy across the board, so I'm sure that's his preferance, which is absolutely his right. As you can probably tell, I'm not a Vista fan, which some guys love. So it's pretty much what you feel comfortable with, but I've had great results with the Cast transformer.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes