Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2009, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

opinions on pool deck drainage

We have a large pool deck job we're pricing. At the moment, there is that 1" plastic drain that pool contractors always install with their pools.

We're taking out the concrete decking and installing pavers. We will need to replace that little drain the pool guys installed. It's about 50' of length (big pool deck, big house).

At the moment the pool deck falls towards their basement. But there is this little 1"wide drain that collects the water before it makes it's way to the basement door/wall. Seems to be working. However, in the past I have seen them clogged with sediment. Personally, I hate them.

In the past we have used 'Dura-slope' drain system. Which is basically a 6" wide box. Each box is 4' long and increases in depth. And the boxes are numbered and connect to one another in order of the numbers. GREAT drain system. And what's great about it is it allows you to keep the pavement level, as the boxes increase in depth. Problem is.....they're $90 / 4' section! And that doesn't include the grates! We're talking $1900 in materials for 50' of drain

The drain that the pool contractor installed has no pitch to it. It's level.

What types of drains do you guys use to drain water from pool decks? I'm thinking if the little 1" pool deck drain was working, than a cheap 4" drain will suffice?

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Big house and they can"t afford a big drain? Strip drains look bad and ruin the clean lines of a patio. On my big job I got some brass drains and am putting 3 of them on my patio. We divided the patio into 3 square sections and each sections has a drain in the middle. Looks 10x better then a 6" drain accross the entire thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2009, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The cheapo 4" drain will suffice. Once the water collects in the basins it will want to enter into the drain line and continue downhill, as the laws of gravity will attest to.

I've never even seen the sloped channel drains, although they sound like a good gimmick (gimmick being the key word; $90/ 4' section is insane)

Long and the short; use the regular cheapos if you're gonna go with a channel drain; they'll work fine without putting your clients over budget.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

thanks!

Wasn't really needing comments on my clients spending habits. Not my business by any means. But, you know there is a positive to this. Wealthy folks, he's the senior VP of a large, international company that does a lot of fed gov't jobs. They're pinching pennies on our work because they just purchased a well known fast food franchise along with one restaurant and it's real estate. Pinching pennies now, but there is beauty to this - as their restaurant business grows - so will their wallet - and hopefully that will trickle down to me So, Rusk-a-Roni, since you're concerned about their affordabilities, do you know the qualifications required to be a fast food franchisee of one of the top fast food franchises??

Got it taken care of. We're using the Duraslope. And yes, Rusk-a-Roni, they have 3 or 4 nice metal grates available for the duraslope. We use a lot of Duraslope, some of our clients go with the iron grates.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 08-12-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

DVS a strip drain across a patio will look like **** no matter what the grate is. That would not fly in my north jersey market.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I've used the duraslope before and think it's a good product. It easy to install and has many grate options which don't look bad at all.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk View Post
DVS a strip drain across a patio will look like **** no matter what the grate is. That would not fly in my north jersey market.

Yeah, "jersey". The state that hit 12% unemployment around July 18..........

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 08-12-2009, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.L. View Post
I've used the duraslope before and think it's a good product. It easy to install and has many grate options which don't look bad at all.

The grate options just came available in April 2008. VERY heavy iron at that too, exceeded what I was expecting.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe what I used was not duraslope but it was exactly like you described. I installed it in front of garage doors 4 or 5 years ago. The customer purchased the grate and I remember him saying it was pricey. At that time they had several different grate options, the ones I used were steel black grates.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Dura slope. Marked up I sell it for $57 a foot. Homeowners are clueless.