Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2009, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, you may not be a good candidate for organics

I have put the advertisement out for specifically organic lawncare.
Now... What jobs to accept - or - pass on...

Overwatering kills soil structure and continual harvest, robs the building blocks of structure. So I will pass on those 2 scenarios.

Are there any other types of situations to avoid when dealing with organic lawns?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There is a glitch that concerns me. How do you advertise the details of organic lawn care without making yourself look bad if you still offer synthetics.
Or aren't you doing both?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
There is a glitch that concerns me. How do you advertise the details of organic lawn care without making yourself look bad if you still offer synthetics.
Or aren't you doing both?
I am not sure he does both but it is very common for companies to offer a laundry list of capabilites and plans
Old 08-12-2009, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can see laundry lists of services but I personally find it hard selling details of the advantages of organic lawn care while still admitting to using synthetics. Looks like
"Show me the money and I'll do whatever you want."
Old 08-12-2009, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The way I approach it is that we are an organic based application business.
Our foundation is feeding the soil and encouraging sound cultural practices; best seed choice, proper mowing & irrigation, etc. By doing, this many problems are reduced. When problems arise, we do our best to work on the cause, not just the symptom. Some solutions may require the use of products that are approved for organic agriculture, but are still EPA Registered pesticides. And there are times when the best sound approach is to use a chemical pesticide to tackle a difficult pest and then rebuild organically. The last two approaches are not done without first speaking with the client. Pesticides are never a routine part of our programs, but we leave the option open.

I do not believe in absolutes as far as lawn & tree care are concerned. I do believe the green industry has a long way to go in understanding and implementing plant health care. Too much emphasis is on quick results that have long term consequences.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-12-2009, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
The way I approach it is that we are an organic based application business.
Our foundation is feeding the soil and encouraging sound cultural practices; best seed choice, proper mowing & irrigation, etc. By doing, this many problems are reduced. When problems arise, we do our best to work on the cause, not just the symptom. Some solutions may require the use of products that are approved for organic agriculture, but are still EPA Registered pesticides. And there are times when the best sound approach is to use a chemical pesticide to tackle a difficult pest and then rebuild organically. The last two approaches are not done without first speaking with the client. Pesticides are never a routine part of our programs, but we leave the option open.

I do not believe in absolutes as far as lawn & tree care are concerned. I do believe the green industry has a long way to go in understanding and implementing plant health care. Too much emphasis is on quick results that have long term consequences.
I hate it when level heads prevail. That is what we are working towards.
Organic in our base, using organic first, then least toxic, etc...

It is just a matter of educating our customer base.

Unfortunately, most of our customers dont want to see weeds and we have not found a good method to get rid of them without a synthetic. Before anybody says my left hand or my right hand. Our customer base is too big and my staff too small for that to be viable right now.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
I hate it when level heads prevail. That is what we are working towards.
Organic in our base, using organic first, then least toxic, etc...

It is just a matter of educating our customer base.

Unfortunately, most of our customers dont want to see weeds and we have not found a good method to get rid of them without a synthetic. Before anybody says my left hand or my right hand. Our customer base is too big and my staff too small for that to be viable right now.
In meetings with counties or cities that have banned pesticides, we tell them to take the pesticide budget and move it to seed.

I have met with many companies like yours, the easiest thing to begin with is to keep your weed and feed program in the spring and move to better sustainable practices thru the rest of the year

BTW, Barry's state, New Jersey, has passed some very forward thinking legislation. IPM practices, if you cannot prove the site needs it, you can't apply it. In my book very smart, not an all out ban of this or that, you still have all of the tools at your disposal, you just can't blanket (isn't that Michael Jackson's son) every site anymore
Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
In meetings with counties or cities that have banned pesticides, we tell them to take the pesticide budget and move it to seed.

I have met with many companies like yours, the easiest thing to begin with is to keep your weed and feed program in the spring and move to better sustainable practices thru the rest of the year

BTW, Barry's state, New Jersey, has passed some very forward thinking legislation. IPM practices, if you cannot prove the site needs it, you can't apply it. In my book very smart, not an all out ban of this or that, you still have all of the tools at your disposal, you just can't blanket (isn't that Michael Jackson's son) every site anymore
I wish NY was that smart. We just like to ban everything and give the pro an empty toolbox.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just to clarify, the NJ program Bill is referring to is the School IPM program and only applies to public schools kindergarten to high school, not residential or commercial lawn & tree care programs.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
I wish NY was that smart. We just like to ban everything and give the pro an empty toolbox.
NY has been tough for many years. Just be glad you don't service Long Island.

Franklin D. Roosevelt