Register free!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

MY first pond!

So its still a work in progress, but its getting done!
Let me know what you think of the pics and give me some input on what I did right/wrong or what you would do different.

I didn't have a great place to put it, but wanted to build one so I can figure them out and maybe sell pond installation eventually. Its 3' 4'' at the deepest and I made natural shelves out of the large tree roots I dug it around. I had to build up the level on the sides and decided to include the wall block under water...It gives the small fish places to hide. I have a few bass in a tank inside I will move out when I'm finished working on it. I already put so gambusa fish in there so they could start multiplying for food source for the bass. Its about 425 gallons. I bought a Beckett W1150 pump from home depot yesterday and started flowing water, unfortunately I washed a whole bunch of clay in there so I'm waiting on it to settle out so the water is clear again. There's a few people on craigs list with free plants I'm going to get and I think I'll take some from the large pond at school tonight.

I still need to pick up a skimmer one day this week. The pond supply place near here closes early and I work late and go to school at night.

I'm collecting most of the stones for the waterfall part from a friend's creek. The smaller stones are pond stones from home depot.

I was thinking of adding more height to the waterfall area and make more steep drops for the sound effect. I don't know if it would look funny if I built it up another foot or so...??

I still have a lot to do!!!

Thanks for looking and any comments!
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Between the underpinning and the big tree roots, i would say that is not the best place for a water feature.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

At 3' deep and 425 gallon capacity, that means that you have only about 20 sq/ft of surface; hardly enough swimming space for fish as large as Bass. Location is bad. Will have severe tree root problems in the near future.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How long have people been throwing their change in?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I agree its in a horrible location. I live in a trailer park and don't have a huge yard. I just wanted to experiment and find out what goes into the construction. Really, I'm not too concerned about the pond size, but I've been playing around with the waterfall the past few days. I'm planning on draining the water when I'm done with the waterfall and changing a few things including the overlapping of the liner, cleaning all the dirt we washed in, adding stones and plants, and changing the edges of it where the wall blocks are. I have an underlayment and we clipped all of the small roots before putting in liner, how soon before I have punctures? I've learned a lot from my mistakes on this
Old 08-20-2009, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Just a thought, you might consider installing a root barrier beneath the underlayment. Should not have any problems for quite a long time
Old 08-04-2010, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Wtf??????????
Old 08-04-2010, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Perhaps you didn't read that I was experimenting with pond construction, in a horrible location, with very limited time...

I'll post a new picture soon. I'm still messing around with it. How did mr. 'wtf' learn how to do water features? Work for someone else? I work for myself, so when I have free time I learn other things on my own.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 08-04-2010, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am curious as to exactly what the "wtf" was referring to?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Gees...WTF??? some people think being snarky at other peoples expense is cool, when in most cases
it just shows peoples ignorance, good manners, and either lack of common sense or education...

keep up the good work Andy, you learn from experience. Nothing ventured
nothing gained...and stay in school...