Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2009, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

He wants to program it! What has happened to the air quality back there? Jeez, Boots, I used to be on your side with the Kiril diatribes, but you've got me wondering on this one.

Last edited by Mike Leary; 08-13-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall46 View Post

Coming directly off the pump has a 4 valve spicket like this http://www.berryhilldrip.com/images/62032FauPic.jpg in which 3/4 inch polyethylene tubing is connected. He primarily only uses 2 of the four lines. First line has the "stake in ground sprinklers" coming off the tubing for watering the lawn covers the lawn great... (poormans irrigation but works for his setup)
It's a junk system, do your Pop a favor and call a pro.
"stake in ground sprinklers" coming off the tubing for watering the lawn??
Old 08-13-2009, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why the need to program a pump relay, when the tank/switch pump system can be powered 24/7? It only would operate when someome opens a valve and starts water flowing.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Why the need to program a pump relay, when the tank/switch pump system can be powered 24/7? It only would operate when someome opens a valve and starts water flowing.
The truth comes out; are we talking "on demand"?
Old 08-13-2009, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
The truth comes out; are we talking "on demand"?
Say what, gramps?

Old 08-13-2009, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
It's a junk system, do your Pop a favor and call a pro.
"stake in ground sprinklers" coming off the tubing for watering the lawn??
I knew this comment was coming, and to be completly honest if money wasnt an object etc I would say hell ya call an irrigation outfit and do it right. Truth is the stake in ground sprinklers do the job for how small of space the lawn is. Its not professional but it does the job. Down the road once the pump goes, will without a doubt encourage him to do so. I know this "hilly billy" setup isnt the best scenario for this forum.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
He wants to program it! What has happened to the air quality back there? Jeez, Boots, I used to be on your side with the Kiril diatribes, but you've got me wondering on this one.
Cant say it any better than Mike just did...This is about automation. Ideally there would be pressure tank but the point is I dont want him walking down to the shoreline to turn on the water.

I'm not against your sugestion @ all, and once this pump goes and he gets a new one will defintely suggest he outfit it with a tank
Old 08-13-2009, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I would say the small tank and pressure switch is your best bet along with a cheap controller and solenoid valves... all available at Home Depot.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Think about if for a brief moment. Pump relays cost money. They cost more than pressure switches. They cost about the same as small pressure tanks.

You got a 30 amp circuit. That may be more than the cheapest pump relays are rated for. You don't get to use devices that are rated for less than the circuit breaker.

If you want automation, you turn the pump into a supply with a tank and a pressure switch. Then you can see about controlling a valve for the sprinklers. If you can't escape the hose bib, then get a programmable hose-bib valve.

None of this is rocket science.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Think about if for a brief moment. Pump relays cost money. They cost more than pressure switches. They cost about the same as small pressure tanks.

You got a 30 amp circuit. That may be more than the cheapest pump relays are rated for. You don't get to use devices that are rated for less than the circuit breaker.

If you want automation, you turn the pump into a supply with a tank and a pressure switch. Then you can see about controlling a valve for the sprinklers. If you can't escape the hose bib, then get a programmable hose-bib valve.

None of this is rocket science.
Wet

Ok I will bite.....Lets say he adds the tank and pressure switch (what does that do anyways the pressure switch?). Explain to me how he turns the pump on without physically walking down to the pump hose or sprinkler. Maybe I'm missing something

Last edited by fall46; 08-13-2009 at 06:34 PM.