Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2009, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

synthetic turf maintenance

I know Turf is a sore subject for alot of you guys. Because you think any natural grass field can be maintained to be better suited for sports. Anyway

I know alot of you guys have them or know somebody who dose, I just want to know what you guys use like greens groomer or parkers all gangd together. Or what magnet your using and how much time your spending.

Also if your painting lines on multi use feilds what sprayers are you using what paint.

Do you guys have heat stress moniters and infared thermometer.Do you still have full feild irragation to cool them befor games?

I am over workd and underpaid but maybe its my own fault
Old 08-16-2009, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do synthetic grooming and spraying as a contractor. We use redexim equipment
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2009, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As a contractor do you do per visit price or do you have contracts or retainers? I would assume its kind of a hard demagraphic to get school boards and what not to hand out money.?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGR landscapeing View Post
As a contractor do you do per visit price or do you have contracts or retainers? I would assume its kind of a hard demagraphic to get school boards and what not to hand out money.?
Its hard to get them to understand there is maintenance that needs to get done. They are sold the field thinking they wont have to do anything
Old 08-17-2009, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookviewlawncare View Post
Its hard to get them to understand there is maintenance that needs to get done. They are sold the field thinking they wont have to do anything
And that is where it gets to be kind of a sore subject, to quote KGR, with me.

I tell anybody who will listen that every month in Sports Field Management magazine it seems like the fastest growing segment of the turf equipment industry is specialty equipment for "maintenance free" turf.

Your equipment and work look very nice, by the way, brookviewlawncare.

Backing up even further, I guess I really take issue with it commonly being referred to as Turf. I think of turf as what I work on whereas what we are discussing here is artificial turf.

I certainly don't begrudge anybody working on these types of fields - more power to them. A certain and growing number of these are here to stay. Clearly, somebody has to do the work on them. I am frustrated that too often not enough effort and resources are put into taking care of grass fields, then artificial fields are, as you say, sold as low or no maintenance. Before they know it, they are spending more time and buying more equipment to maintain the expensive artificial fields than they ever considered doing for their grass fields.

It seems a little like gastric bypass surgery to me: if the patient could do what the surgery forces them to do, they would not need the surgery.

It is not my position that artificial field are always a bad way to go. However, I am troubled by the notion that they come without consequences and are nearly always seen as a panacea.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ignorance is bliss on there part Not but a couple of weeks ago i got to listen and talk to a guy from General sports and a guy from astro turf. And both of these guys stressd the maintenance. Ok well if the company are saying it needs to be done where is it getting lost in the translation at or are the sales people not saying anything when they sell these fields. I understand that it doubles payable season and nearly removes rain issues other then lightning. But with double the traffic the surface will break down alot faster, I mean maybe school boards and athletic departments dont have common sense but it just dosent add up.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=foreplease;3146868]I am frustrated that too often not enough effort and resources are put into taking care of grass fields, then artificial fields are, as you say, sold as low or no maintenance. Before they know it, they are spending more time and buying more equipment to maintain the expensive artificial fields than they ever considered doing for their grass fields.

Most of the fields we work on are multi use fields (Football,Boys and girls soccer and band ) practice as well as games. Most are used daily and it is hard to get the field for more than 5-6 hrs during the day to perform our service. I don't think that a natural grass field could hold up no matter how much money you throw at it
Old 08-18-2009, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. That is more use than one grass field can support. Here soccer and football each have what are supposed to be game only fields and separate practice fields. Soccer is used fall (boys) and spring (girls). Band is on the football game field a couple times a week. Baseball has one field for all practices and games for three teams, softball uses one field for practice and games. There is a separate football field for middle school and one other practice field there too.

My son has played quite a few soccer tournaments in Zeeland. It appears to be a progressive area where parks and sports fields are concerned. There is a lot of good work being done there.

Have you seen problems or inconveniences for soccer played on multi-use fields that were really built for football? When a field surrounded by a track our hands are tied for the field width and how the drainage is set up.

The next town over from here has use similar to what you describe. The put in synthetic a year ago and use it heavily. It will be interesting to see how long and how well it holds up. Even concrete wears at some point.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post

Have you seen problems or inconveniences for soccer played on multi-use fields that were really built for football? When a field surrounded by a track our hands are tied for the field width and how the drainage is set up.
All those stripes can give me a headache
Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookviewlawncare View Post
All those stripes can give me a headache
i agree i dont know how some of these kids know what field there playing on