Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-21-2000, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone,<p>I would like to thank all of you for the wealth of information that I have received in the last few month of reading your posts on this forum. I have a question that some of you could help me to understand a little better. We have a private road with six houses and it is a dead end. On one side of the road there are four houses each on an acre plot. The other side two houses on two acres each. We all wish to use the same person to mow and trim our lawns. We want them cut every four days, five days, if fourth day falls on a Sunday or next day after rain fall. All work is to be done on the same day, it take one man about three and half hours, start to finish. We need Spring and Fall Clean-up, Aeration and Thatch Removal as needed. Everything else we do ourselves. We take our lawns and yards seriously. We want grass mulched or bagged. What should this cost? We always have a problem having these terms met maybe we are not offering enough. Signing a contract is no problem for us. Please help.<p>Mow and Trim: Cost per cut or per month or per season.<br>Spring and Fall Clean-up: Single or Both. <br>Aeration:<br>Thatch Removal:<p>Doc
Old 01-21-2000, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Others may give you help on cost, Doc. Would be better if you stated your approximate location in NY, because rates vary dramatically across the country. There are many in this business who will not provide the service you wish, and probably only a few who will. Perhaps this story will help you.<p>My friend Bob does full maintenance on a small condo area. He was approached this year by one of the largest condo associations in the region. This assn expressed to him the same frustrations you hint at. They formed a committee to go out and look at all condo complexes in 2 county area to decide which ones looked best, and decided Bob's was #1, so they contacted him about maintenance. Bob didn't give them an estimate, because he doesn't like huge sites.<p>Suggest you pick out a few sites in region similar size as yours that you like the appearance of, and contact property owner/manager to find contractor. As you might have seen in commercial forum, the good contractors in this field do not seek more work, it finds them. <p>----------<br>Jim<br>South Bend, IN
Old 01-21-2000, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Groundkprs,<p>Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to know about how much it would take to get this job done. We are only talking about eight acres in total.
Old 01-21-2000, 10:35 AM
Banned

how do you figure it will only take 3.5 hours for &quot;about 8 acres &quot; bagging takes 1.5 times longer than discharge.do you want weed eating, edgeing, blowing,pick-up sticks,ckeck condition of turf,ornimentals,trees. do you talk to lawn personal?<p>----------<br>curlawngreen<br>
Old 01-21-2000, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Curlawngreen,<p>Thank you for your reply. It isn't eight acres of grass. I would say about four acres total grass. I have seen it cut and bagged or mulched many times in the time that I stated. We are serious about the way our property is kept. There are no sticks, bottles, rocks or any other kind of debris on our lawns. Clean-up is for fall leaves. Spring is a little different but we are willing to pay. Our main problem is to get someone to cut the lawns every four days. How much would you charge?<p>Doc<p>
Old 01-21-2000, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Doc - where in NY are you located as this will help greatly in figuring a guesstimate for you without looking at the site.<p>----------<br>Stephen<br>
Old 01-21-2000, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Stephen,<p>Thank you for your reply. I live on Long Island.<p>Doc
Old 01-21-2000, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I wished you lived in the south. I would love to have that opportunity! Approximately how many mowings would that be per year, I don't know your season? I mow my accounts on a 10 day schedule here, you must have fast growing grass! I have a hard time believing you can't find someone that would jump on that opportunity. How much have you been paying is the question I would like to know, and maybe we could put our heads together to see if you were low on your $$$$$$$$$$. A lot of the dicussions in the forum have dealt with price and cost of business. This is a difficult question you have asked and one that would probably need to be looked at first hand. It is my opinion that if the residents of the street can afford to pay a little extra to get good quality, dependable help, then raise the bar a few notches. I would jump all over that deal! I would love to see the public view this type of work as more than the kid next door with a pushmower. There are some really educated people out there that have put a lot of effort into starting,running, and maintaining their business. Personally I have invested over $30,000.00 in equipment in the last 2 years. One has to have the proper equipment to stay competitive in this business. When they make the commitment they tend to be serious and they also take care of their families on this income. I am not mad as I type this, nor do I believe that everybody does work that should rate on any scale, but if you find a guy that will do what you want, tell him how good a job he is doing and slip him a little extra now and then. Treat him like a professional and he will give back in return.
Old 01-21-2000, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Homer,<p>Thanks for your time, it is greatly appreciated. I wish that you were able too. I know and understand that it takes an investment of your time, education and money to do business. I believe in paying for services that have been rendered to me. I have learned over the years to treat everyone with respect and as I, myself, want to be treated. If I were in your business, I would expect to be paid and paid well. Only a fool expects others to do good work and not be paid well. In my area there are a number of people who do good work but none want to meet our requirements of the four day cutting cycle. Is this really to much to ask? Please tell me if we really are asking to much.<p>Doc<br>
Old 01-21-2000, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I could only speak for myself on the 4 day cycle. It would be pretty hard but not if you scheduled it that way. If a man already has a route established it would be tough for him to fit it in. On the other hand if a newcomer is looking for something solid that will benefit and help his business grow, then theres your man. What type of grass do you have and does it have to be cut every 4 days? Could you stretch it to 6 day intervals? Are you and the others willing to pay a co. 12 months a year so he doesn't have any lapse in income? I still, even at 4 day intervals, would accept the challenge and if needed, drop lower paying or seaonal accounts to make room for yours. Everybody has some accounts they keep just for the money but would want to let go, I do. Have you advertised outside of your area a little ways? Maybe it would be worth the drive to someone else if not local people. How far is Long Island from Glenns Falls/Hudson Falls? I have an Aunt and a host of cousins in that area, I will come up there for $...,....00 that much and take care of all your needs, maybe I could commute! would do ya say?