Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2000, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Doc,<p>I did write a detailed response yesterday, but the server wouln't take it. Anyway, I suggested you aquire your own equipment and have a guy come mow and do other tasks for you.<p>Also, I thought a commercial contractor would get about $300/per time for those sites. I've done jobs exactly like that before.<p>Anyway, as far as commercial mowers go, I really don't have an opinion. Yeah, right.<p>Just look at Exmarks sales figures.
Old 01-23-2000, 09:21 AM
Banned

4 houses @ 1 acre = 4 acres<br>2 houses @ 2 acres = 4 acres<br> 8 acres<br>8 acres @ $50 an acre = $ 400.00<br>this is an estimate not a bid
Old 01-23-2000, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Homer,<p>Thank you again, I will look into a demonstration of all available mowers in this area. You said that you only have to close the discharge door but what about the baffles. Have you ever tried Ericís two blades per spindle thing? It works for him but his grass is taller than our grass or would that make any difference? I will make a new post for pros and cons of each machine. Thank you for the suggestion on what to ask for.<p>Doc<br>
Old 01-23-2000, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Lazer,<p>I wish to thank you for your response and for your effort. I believe the server experienced some technical difficulties. One way that you can prevent the loss of your work is to use your word processor and then copy it to your clipboard, finally paste it in the reply box of the forum. Is that $300.00/per cut taking into consideration Homerís procedure of setting the person up in business or what? I didnít understand what you meant. I am a little slow sometimes so please explain. I am following Homer suggestion and starting a new post where I will ask for the pros and cons of the various machines. Please give me your thoughts there. Thank you.<p>Doc <br>
Old 01-23-2000, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Curlawngreen,<p>Thank you for your reply and for the figures. I was only speaking about the amount of grass that had to be cut and the time that I have seen it cut in. When I originally spoke of eight acres, I was talking of price and we were willing to pay more than what you have quoted. You have been a great help because I know for sure that I was not being disrespectful to any Lawn Care Professional by offering him or her garbage money. Thank you.<p>Doc<br>
Old 01-23-2000, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hi Doc, Yes I am currently running two blades per spindle on both my choppers. As long as you don't hit anything solid the blades will stay put. It works very well and reduces leaves and grass to dust. As for the baffles, that is by design. After a minute or so those baffles will clog up and you will in effect have a blocked chute. If they don't clog it allows air in to better circulate the clippings and debris. These commercial mowers generate a lot of vaccum and need air coming in to help with the process. You will have a little debris that escapes but I believe you would have that with any machine. I cross cut almost every lawn I mow to give it a groomed appearance anyway so there is nothing left to show but a flat cleanly mowed lawn. <p>Good luck with the poll and with the demos. Make those guys work for the sale, if they know you have 3 or 4 dealers coming out I would think that would be leverage in your favor.<p>See ya,<p>Homer
Old 01-24-2000, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Homer,<p>I wish to thank you again for all your help. We have decided to do this pending our research for equipment and final estimates. We are thinking of using two people instead of one, partnership. We each will put up 3K and the two of us with the larger parcels will add an extra 1K each. We will also build a computer system and add the necessary software. Are there any scalping problems with high speed cutting of the Dixie Choppers and short grass heights? Since blades will have to be sharpened often, how do you change them? I was carefully looking the machine over on its website. I did the same with the other four machines. What are your thoughts on a high wheel trimmer? Is there anything else that we need to consider?<p>Doc<br>
Old 01-24-2000, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hi again Doc, <p>I am glad to hear things are progressing well. I will try to answer your questions based on the knowledge I have.<p>#1. SCALPING. If you buy the 60&quot; Dixie Chopper it has an ample supply of anti-scalp wheels to prevent most scalping, I say most because a lot of scalping occurs when an inexperienced operator gets on a machine and approaches uneven terrain from the wrong angle or doesn't compensate for a rise in the turf by raising his deck a click or two. Getting to know the terrain is all it takes to avoid any mistakes. I mentioned the Chopper but in all fairness the Lazer has plenty of anti-scalp wheels as well. The deck lift on the Chopper is located on the floor pan by your left foot. Once the operator gets used to this it is a snap to raise the deck up and down as needed, even at a nice speed you simply click it up with the ball of your left foot or place your foot at the bottom of the pedal and bring it down. My Scag has a handle on the right side that you raise and lower the deck with and since I am familiar with both types I prefer the floor pan version now. I don't know how short you want to keep your grass but if you have fairly even terrain you should have no problem with either machine I mentioned. Letting the grass grow longer has many advantages, eliminating scalping problems is only one of many.<p>#2. BLADE CHANGES I either do one of two things, put the mower on car ramps to remove the blades or put it on my trailer ramp if I am in the field. It works fine on ramps, be sure to chock one or both of the back tires for safety sake. To remove the blades you have to go under the deck using a 15/16&quot; socket on a 1/2&quot; drive ratchet. There are 3 bolts, one for each blade. The bolt is removed in standard fashion, nothing unique here but be sure to put everything back the way it came off. Starting with the cupped washer, don't turn it over, re-install it the way it came off, it has a purpose. You will also find a leather type flat washerbetween the blade and spacer, be sure to put it back on as well. I know there is a torque spec. on the blades but I have my own method of tightening them. I have found that by snugging the blades up good rather than putting everything you have into it, the blade removal will be easier the next time. I have never had a blade come loose. If they are overtightened you may have to call out the troops to help you loosen them. All it takes is a blade hitting something solid and there you are, get a pipe! i would recommend sharpening the blades every 4 to 8 hrs. of use. You may not need to if conditions are optimal but never exceed 10 for sure. Always keep a spare set around just in case. You will need a blade sharpener, I use a bench grinder and get them as sharp as possible, others have a true lawnmower blade sharpening device. Be sure to balance the blades, they also sell blade balancers. I hang mine on a nail, probably not the preffered way but I have never had a spindle related problem. I also don't rely on others to sharpen them. If you do get one that is out of balance, remove it. It will do damage to your spindles, and vibrate the mower to pieces. You'll know it if it happens.<p>#3. HIGH WHEEL TRIMMER I would not invest in this. A man with a hand trimmer can do much, much, more than a guy with a tricycle lawn mower! If you want to spend a little more since it will be a community thing get a chipper shredder of some kind so you can grind up all the sticks and debis. In no time you can have a compost pile started and once it goes through a heat you can use it for your beds!<p>#4 OTHER CONSIDERATIONS I checked out a aerato made by John Deere the other day. For your uses it might be O.K. It cost around $380.00 but would be a worthwhile investment. Eric is buying an electric fertilizer spreader to mount on his Chopper, that would be another good one for the ground you are covering.<p>I will be thinking about more. E-mail me and I will be working on it!<p>Homer
Old 01-24-2000, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

i don't know how many other guys thought about this but i looked into the push trimmer such as the dr., and my main concern is after i spent all that time manicuring a lawn to get stripes, i don't wan't to push the trimmer across the lawn to each tree, bed, etc. that needs to be trimmed and leave wheel marks all across the grass to make the job look shabby. you can actually see the wheel tracks very clearly in almost all conditions.<p>----------<br>Stephen<br>
Old 01-25-2000, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Homer,<p>I appreciate the full description of my questions. Some grasses are very beautiful but require a lot of care. They must be maintained at certain heights and mowed regularly. I will forget about the high wheel trimmer. I will get one of those commercial sticks you were talking about. Can you tell me the difference between a mid-mount machine and an out front machine? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each type? Do both cut grass well? You mentioned a blade sharpener, do you have brand in mind? The John Deere aerator you mentioned is that one you attach to the machine and pull or does it work some other way? If you pull it, will it damage the turf on the turns? Homer, we already have a chipper/shredder.<p>Doc