Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2000, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Homer,<p>Thank you again. I was going to one of the dealers today but the storm prevented me. Officials have stated that if it were unnecessary to go out, then we should remain home. I only went out to the mailbox and to inspect my property to see if there was any storm damage, I found none. I like that you can easily change the blades on the out-front mowers because of the flip up decks. It appears as if this would be a plus, if the cutting is as good as that of the mid-mounts. Being able to pick up clipping every other time is also a plus. You mentioned smaller yards, how small are they? It is funny how things are. In your town Walkers are not even used, here they are king. I am down to one of four, no SCAG. <p>Doc<p>
Old 01-26-2000, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Funny you should mention Scag. I had a problem with a Scag walkbehind about 6 years ago. The dealer and distributor were pretty good about dealing with the problem. They gave me a mower to use (4 months) while they decided what to do with mine. They eventually replaced it with another. But the cut was never up to my standard on any of the three machines. I sold the mower at a pretty good loss shortly after.<p>As for your question regarding the small tires on the front mowers tearing up grass. It actually result from the small squared off tires. A larger rounded tire is not going to have the problem. The Grasshopper tends to do it worse than the Walker due to the heavier deck. It can be mostly avoided by a careful operator, but will happen from time to time. I would not consider it a huge problem.<p>Also, if the idea of a liquid cooled Kubota engine interests you, the Walker is available with it too.
Old 01-26-2000, 05:58 PM
Banned

In Fl. The three wheels are the only ones that do not leave track marks. In clay? The high end mowers use Walkers in Fl.
Old 01-27-2000, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Keith,<p>I thank you for the help that you have given me. I have one more question about this tearing up of the grass. Our grass is short by what appears to be the normal standards. Would this be more of a problem? We have discussed SCAG it is no longer on our list. What is the life expectancy of the various engines found on these machines?<p>Doc<br>
Old 01-27-2000, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Curlawngreen,<p>Thank you for your post. Our soil here is sandy. How would the Walker or any of the other machines do here? I have noticed that many professional in my area use Walkers.<p>Doc
Old 01-27-2000, 06:11 AM
Banned

In FL. all we have is sand.The companys I referred to use Walkers only. The simple reason is that when you get done mowing your lawn it does not look like a football field.<br>Maintenance or operating cost is higher than <br>generic mowers.Blades app. $16.00 each Belts app. $36.00 each Blower housing app.$350.00. One of these co. does all of one <br>small sub. with 1000m houses and you cant see<br>one track maerk or lines.This summer I will<br>buy a new one.GHS,25 hp. gas, 48&quot; deck, $8300.00 + tax.If needed, you can also get a bigger deck that discharges out the side $1700.00 complete.Takes about 3 min. to change.
Old 01-27-2000, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Doc, here in louisiana where the grass grows thick and fast I use a wright stander it is a 48&quot;cut and only 52&quot; long does a great job very manuverable you can get a larger cuting deck check it out on their web age whish you were here would be glad to service you ilove to service customers that take great pride in their lawns make me care more and proved even a beter job probably would charge 4to500 per service(mowing weading and edging) can't say about hedging without seeing good luck with your project.
Old 01-27-2000, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Doc, here in louisiana where the grass grows thick and fast I use a wright stander it is a 48&quot;cut and only 52&quot; long does a great job very manuverable you can get a larger cuting deck check it out on their web age whish you were here would be glad to service you ilove to service customers that take great pride in their lawns make me care more and proved even a beter job probably would charge 4to500 per service(mowing weading and edging) can't say about hedging without seeing good luck with your project.<p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape
Old 01-27-2000, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Curlawngreen<br>Moonarrow<p>I wish to thank you both for your posts. They give me an idea as to what to expect in my area. Costs information, machine capabilities and encouragement are greatly appreciated. <p>Doc<br>
Old 01-27-2000, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Homer<br>Eric<br>Lazer <br>Curlawngreen<br>Keith<br>All Who Have Given Of Themselves<p>All that you have done, is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. I went to John Deere and looked at the F625 Z-Trak. It has a 25HP Kohler with a 54in. deck. It has a ground speed of 8.2 MPH. It has a nine-bushel grass collection system. The dealer will let me have it for $8865.00 all cash transaction. I still have to demo it but all of you let me know what you think. Donít worry about my feelings please speak your minds. Thank you again.<p>Doc <br>