Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2000, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never used one or know anyone who owns one. They look intriguing, though.
Old 01-27-2000, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have never used one nor has anyone I know tried one. I guess you can tell us about it.
Old 01-27-2000, 05:54 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Hey Doc,<p>I have been lurking folowing this thread for some time.<p>IMHO you will be bitting off more than you can chew by doing your own lawn care.<p>You homeowners need to form a non-profit and<br>then invite QUALIFIED LICENSED AND INSURED<br>CONTRACTORS to bid on the entire job.<p>You guys need a $9000 mower like you need your property taxes raised. <p>1. You will need to provide workmans comp<br>ins, pay matching Social securtiy taxes, and<br>unemployment taxes for your hired laborer.<p>2. What do you plaining on mowing with when your $9k mower breaks.<p>3. How will you get it to the dealer for repair.<p>4. How will you dispose of the yard waste?<br>On Long Island your just can't dump that<br>WASTE product anywhere. You will need to<br>rent a truck for the day then pay tipping fees at the recycling dump.<p>5. What will you do when your laborer gets sick or quits?<p>6. What about the pesticede regs. you will have to have a business lic. and your laborer<br>will have to be certified.<p>any questions?
Old 01-27-2000, 06:37 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Doc, I don't know anyone that has a mower like that either. I know they have aluminum spindle housings. If someone was so kind as to offer me a free mower and I had a choice of only that one or a Lazer, (Lazer will be proud of me for this one), I would definately take the Lazer. It seems like John Deere has a way of drawing in home owners in our area, but I don't know of anyone using JD's in commercial mowing anymore. I am thinking that Mr. Stone gave you some good advice above.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 01-27-2000, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawrence Stone,<p>I do wish to thank you for your post. It was kind of you to take the time to provide us with information. Many heads are always better than one. Our original plan and it remains such is to help a young man or woman start their own business with a condition that they serve us as a customer and meet our mowing requirements. We will have a written contract stating our obligations and his or hers. We know that from time to time equipment breaks down, needs repairs or even completely fails. We will take whatever steps are necessary up to and including buying a second mower. I know that it may seem funny but a lot of us on Long Island own a variety of vehicles. When you have been living on Long Island for as many years as we have you get to know people in all position. I hope you understand what I am trying to say in my old, slow and simple way. We realize that people get sick and that is why we told Homer that we were considering getting two people and establishing a partnership. We possess many certifications and we have a working knowledge and understanding of business. Our individual histories were never discussed. We are retired but we are not helpless. We originally asked for help in purchasing a mower but Homer came up with an awesome and brilliant idea. We have been working on it ever since. Thank you again for your time and effort.<p>Doc<br>
Old 01-27-2000, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Eric,<p>Thank you for the information. I was under the impression that John Deere was making both homeowner quality and commercial grade machines. I thought that the Z-Trak was a commercial machine. If it is not then I wasted my time in going to look at and pricing it. I still have to see the Dixie Chopper, Lazer and the Walker. Thanks for the information. By the way I like your lawns.<p>Doc <br>
Old 01-27-2000, 08:53 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
I find it hard to believe that with the 100<br>or so lawn care companies in your general area that none can serve your needs. <p>IMHO no company wants to do business with<br>your or your neighbors. Retired folks with<br>little to do all day make the worst possible<br>residential customers.<p>You are opening up a huge can of worms by trying to &quot;set up&quot; someone in business.<p>They will cut your grass a few times and then<br>you will never see them or the equipment<br>you purchased.<p>You can't &quot;set up&quot; someone in business.<p>Either they have &quot;it&quot; or they don't.<p>
Old 01-27-2000, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mr. Stone, <br>It appears you really have it in for the retired community. I hope one day, if you make it that long, you too will become one of the retired members of our society. <p>I strongly disagree with every point you tried to make. I have as good a relationship with my &quot;retired&quot; customers as I do with those baby boomers that are still contributing to this society. You obviously have had a bad experience with somebody along the way. This forum was started for people to share information with one another, not bash a very large percentage of our population who have contributed many, many years of their lives to make this the country that it is. <p>If I were a betting man, I would bet my business against your that these &quot;ol geezers&quot; as you really wanted to call them, could take a willing person and make him a millionaire! They are obviously more educated than you because I haven't heard them make a single negative comment about anybody or anything. The residents on this dead end street have made their living and are entitled to spend their money any way they please. The people they have had in the past were probably just like you and no wonder they aren't using them anymore, I wouldn't either! Who are you to tell these people what they can accomplish and what they can't. Strength is in numbers remember. If they are all in agreement with the plan they have then mountains could be moved and all could be well in Long Island New York. The best part of this plan is that people like you actually inspire others to make things happen. I have no doubt that these educated, worldly, energetic, analytical, focused, decisive citizens can do exactly what they set out to do, and do it the right way, with all the t's crossed and the i's dotted, and along they way might produce a man/woman/partnership that will rival all of us put together. I wish I had all of the attributes these folks have, maybe one day I will, until then I am still enrolled in the school of hard knocks and doing my internship at screw-up university but I'm learning everyday.<p>Thank you for listening!<p>Homer
Old 01-28-2000, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Lawrence Stone,<br>Homer,<p>Thank you very much for the posts, support and thoughts. There is a time in your life when you slow down and find that so many of the things that you took for granted earlier are now more difficult, sometimes impossible. We all have the need to be useful, productive and loved. Some learn this early, other later and some sad to say never. They grow old, very angry, hurt and very bitter. Look for the good in people and you will find that your joy in life will be greatly increased. We are all imperfect people and have many faults. If we have a need to be negative or we want to look for the negative in people or things, we each can look deeply into a mirror. What we each find should be sufficient for a lifetime but we can work on it a little each day. Lawrence Stone, I do thank you for the information concerning security. We are not setting up someone in business, they will have to do their own work, find their own customers and work hard to make it grow. There are many people that have a fine business head but lack the resources. We are going to find such a person or persons and assist them by becoming their resource. We will not tell them how to run their business nor will we interfere. If asked we will help but if not asked we will simply watch. Their obligation to us will be to cut our grass, as we will outline. Homer we are all still enrolled in the school of hard knocks and doing a lifelong internship at screw-up university. We all learn something everyday. <p>Doc<br>
Old 01-28-2000, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Homer<br>Eric<br>Lazer <br>Curlawngreen<br>Keith<br>All Who Have Given Of Themselves<p>All assistance is truly appreciated. Thank you very much. I went to the Exmark dealer looked at the several Lazers. The Lazer Z HP has a 52inch deck and a 23HP Kohler engine. It has a ground speed of 9.5 MPH. It has an eight-bushel grass collection system. The dealer said he would beat John Deere. He gave me a price of $8600.00 all cash transaction. I still have to have a real demo but he let me drive it around his yard. He explained how it worked and demonstrated a little, then he let me go with it. It is not as hard as I thought it would be. I know that it is for serious work but I had fun with it. LAZER it is a nice machine and it appears to be well made. I think I could learn with a little time to do it well. Please let me know what you know what you think. Again I say donít worry about my feelings please speak your minds. Thank you. I still have to look at the Dixie Chopper and the Walker.<br> <br>Doc <br>