Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-30-2000, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Doc<br>If I wasn't 2 1/2 hours away here in N.E. Phily. I would come and take you all up on your deal<p>----------<br>Ken...Lightcap's Landscape Service<br>
Old 01-30-2000, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Homer<br>Curlawngreen<br>Klite<p>Thank you for your time and encouragement. I am sorry that I didn’t answer sooner but the server was experiencing some technical difficulties again. I have been looking over the various manufactures’ websites getting some of the specifications. We intend to visit a dealer tomorrow if the weather permits. Curlawngreen could you tell me a little more about the Walkers since you intend to buy one. I looked over the specifications. It seems to have a slower blade tip speed, slower ground speed only 6.5 MPH. How about the deck design, is it a superior one or what? Does it have a deep deck, high-lift blade and extensive directional baffling?<p>Doc<p>
Old 02-01-2000, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

<br>Doc<br>and anyone else that cares,<br> I think its a great thing what Doc is doing. I wish I had the chance to work for you. I am in the process of starting my own lawn service and I am 17 years old. I must say it is not an easy task. I run into problems from not having enough money to worrying about getting work because of my age. I am a very dedicated person and take great pride in my work. I believe that not all people are out to cheat others. I think Doc is doing a great thing by helping someone establish their own lawn service. I know for a fact that if Doc was helping me to start my own business that I would not run off with his investment. I am having to invest my own money that I have been saving for most of my life. I have been following up on this post for some time now and felt that I should throw in a little input. <br> Hunt
Old 02-01-2000, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

HEY DINGO, I care, and am glad you have the ambition at your age to attempt a move like this. Don't be fearful of your age, stick to residential stuff for a while, establish yourself in that market, be careful I don't think you can get liability ins. at your age.<br>Once you get the insurance go after some commercial work, by that time you will have aquired some more equipment and have some training under your belt as well as more people skills. If I could give you one good piece of advice it would be to work on your people skills. Communication is the key that will unlock many doors. If you can speak well, you can sell well, it's that simple. Be sincere and never worry about your competition, make them worry about you.<p>Homer<p>P.S. If I can ever help just e-mail me
Old 02-01-2000, 03:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Dingo, Hunt<br>Homer<p>I thank you both for your comments and your encouragement. Dingo I hope everything goes well for you.It is good to here that you are an honest person. Some people feel that the world is made up of only dishonest persons. I try to look for the good in people. Since you are just starting tell me, what machine would you pick if you could have any one that you wanted? I would also ask you why you made that choice? Listen to Homer when he tells you to develop your people skills. Communication truly is the key. It will become your best asset. Many business people fail or do poorly because they are lacking in this area. Treat people the way that you want to be treated and things will go well for you. Give older one an extra minute or two, you will be surprised what it will accomplish for you.<p>Doc
Old 02-02-2000, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Doc, <p>We need an update! How is the employee search coming, or have you got there yet? Have you demo'd a Chopper yet? Let us know when you do, we are all anxiously awaiting your reply.<p>Homer
Old 02-03-2000, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Homer,<br>Eric,<br>Lazer,<br>Everyone,<p>We when to see the Dixie Chopper today. It is a incredible machine, built like a tank. If there were a lawn mower demolition derby, you know which mower would win. We spent several hours with the dealer. We talked to one of his mechanics. We even made machine comparisons. The dealer said that there were only two machines that we should even consider the Dixie Chopper and the Walker. We looked at, road on and open up the XW 60 inch machine. I made some zero turns to the left, rights and backward. I got really carried away and had the machine continuously turning in a complete circle for about a minute. We looked over some old machines that were in for routine service. Some of these machines had many hours on them from 1992 to the present. All were in good shape. We can get the XW 2500-60 with a 25HP Kohler engine and a ground speed of 10mph for $8000.00 without a bagging system. Next, we will see the Walker.<p>Doc<p><br>
Old 02-04-2000, 10:44 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Doc, That is a good price. I paid that much back in 94 for mine. My dealer won't sell for less than $9500 now. I guess I'll have to drive to NY next time. Choppers are built to last and my 2 have lasted a long time and still run like new. Sounds like your having fun out mower shopping. I did hear that DC came out with a new bagging system that they took out in a corn field that had been picked and cut corn stalks trying to plug it up, but couldn't plug it even with corn stalks. I haven't seen this, but was told this by a dealer. I just thought I would pass this along. Have a good day. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 02-08-2000, 09:36 PM
Banned

Hey DOC, let us know what you have decided.
Old 02-08-2000, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys,<br> Sorry its been so long since I responded. I have been pretty busy with looking at mowers. This weekend I went and price the walker 20 hp 42&quot; $8,200, exmark Lazer Z HP 44&quot; 17hp kaw $6,299, toro z master 44&quot; 17 kaw $5,200, and the big bad Dixie Chopper xw2002 for $6,895. All looked like great mowers but Im going to be doing mostly residential mowers and I think the dixe chopper is going to be way to big. I think the walker would prob. be the best but it is way to much for my novice pocket. I know that the exmark and the toro are made by the same company and I did not see any justification of why the exmark is worth a 1000 more for the same machine. Well, actually I think it has just been over priced because that is the only dealer that carry exmark. I think. I still need to check around some more. I know that i am going to need to have some kind of bagging unit for some homeowners and i want to do leaf removal so i think the walker would be nice but that's just not going to happen. well i hope to decide in the next week or two. well i must go ill talk to yall later if you have any opinions for me please post them. thanks <br> Dingo