Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2009, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Yellow Nutsedge and Crabgrass Control

Can anyone provide their recommendation on how best to control/eliminate Yellow Nutsedge and Crabgrass? I'm located in West Central Alabama and have had a particular problem this year with these weeds. Any advice you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If your doing a large area and need to spray, guys here are recommending Sedgehammer, and a couple other herbicides.

Small area and if you have the time, I've had great results doing this by hand but its time consuming. MSMA mixed 1 ounce to a quart of watter in a coffee can and paint on has done wonders for me. Just remember, medical glove ontop of cotton glove.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 08-15-2009, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bruce,
For crabgrass you are probably too late. Best product for summer time crabgrass control is a product containing quinclorac. Like Drive. Or like new Ortho Weed and Crabgrass Killer. But if it has gone to seed--it is in the mature stage--bigger and tougher. Plan on numerous repeat treatments. Is this is bermuda? Zoysia? St Aug? Fescue? I do not know the possibilities for different products in the southern grasses. Hire get an experienced professional company, that has personal service. They will get you squared away in the fall, and make sure you get a good crabgrass preventer in spring. They can also help you with the Sedgehammer for nutsedge, (even the small container is expensive.)
Old 08-15-2009, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think Nutsedge has been worse than ever this year for virtually everyone. I've had good success this summer with MSMA in my bermudagrass fighting back the crabgrass. But for every yard I maintain, I just carry a 2 gallon hand pump sprayer with Sedgehammer. I spot spray each group whenever I see it coming up and that's been great and not too pricy.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Drive
Drive XLR8
MSMA
MSMA+Image

Read the label for your specific turfgrass species as a post emergent application.

Premerge applications need to be made for controlling crabgrass
Barricade
Pendimethalin
Dimension

Most of the products are available to unlicensed applicator's ! Contact Lesco or any local supplier to find this out for your benefit.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Q4 is a good product. For Nutsedge only -use sedgehammer (Formerly known as Manage)
If they are huge crabgrass clumps, I would dig them up because they will turn brown after you spray them.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruces10 View Post
Can anyone provide their recommendation on how best to control/eliminate Yellow Nutsedge and Crabgrass? I'm located in West Central Alabama and have had a particular problem this year with these weeds. Any advice you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.
The best defense against weed invasions of almost any kind:

BUILD THICK, HEALTHY TURF

....although yellow nutsedge sometimes bucks this general rule, and will sometimes push through even the lushest, thickest turf.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post

....although yellow nutsedge sometimes bucks this general rule, and will sometimes push through even the lushest, thickest turf.
Nutsedge grows where ever it wants to, nothing you can do to stop it, if it is there already. If you need to spray nutsedge, use sedgehammer only. Do not use products labeled for suppression of nutsedge. You can clear a lawn of nutsedge in about 2-3 years of applications.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVM View Post
Nutsedge grows where ever it wants to, nothing you can do to stop it, if it is there already. If you need to spray nutsedge, use sedgehammer only. Do not use products labeled for suppression of nutsedge. You can clear a lawn of nutsedge in about 2-3 years of applications.
I have successfully defeated nutsedge in many, many lawns using Manage in an IPM fashion with surfactant & tracker dye, and growing the turf so thick & lush using stuff like protein meals and compost topdressings, that the nutsedge literally got choked out, eventually.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for your input. This info will provide me direction on how to proceed. Again, thanks.