Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2009, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting pay??

We've been looking for someone with a brain for some time now...seems hard to find and obviously that goes without saying.
Tired of hiring "experts", people who "get it", "care about quality" when they suck basically. We want to start at $12 and if they can do all they say they can do (b/c as we all know, everyone's a landscaper....we'll boost 'em to $14 or $15 within a month. Nobody's interested. Is this wrong? Seems to me if you're all that it shouldn't take you a month to show it. Maybe we should start at $15 and reduce to $2 b/c that's what they're really worth???

Maybe we should start at $15 and let them go if they can't cut it.

What does anybody else do?
Old 08-15-2009, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I know a few guys around here that pay their help to just cut and trim nothing much $7.50-$9....if they do more than the basics they may go to $10.

42" MTD Yardman Riding Mower
22" Craftsman Push Mower
Lotsa Sweat
5x7 trailer if I need it!
21" Ariens Snow Blower
Old 08-15-2009, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We are family owned and operated, so the "foreman" gets $15 per hr, and the labors get $10 per hr, but none of are specialized...

09 3500HD Rebuild Picture Thread (Totaled in Tornado)
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...77#post3862277

Old 08-17-2009, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I started working for a landscaper he started me off at $10 and said that if I could prove to him that I knew what I was doing i could get $12. Within a day he bumped me up to $12 so I wouldent wait too long to see if someone can prove themself. For my new workers now they start at $8 because I have had so many bad workers I can start anyone one at a higher price. But for my decent workers they range any where from getting $10-$12 dollars an hour.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I learned a long time ago that an employee will not work "up" to what you pay him.
If he's worth $8 or $9 then that's how hard he will work from the get-go.
Doesn't matter if you pay him $15, he'll still work at the $8 pace.
If he has a high value then he will show you that right away even if you pay only a little. Of course, it's this latter guy that you should raise his pay quickly.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I pay by the job at a rate of 30% of gross seems high but i am a part type lawn mower
evenings and weekends and there for my guy is part time on average works out about 8 to 10 $ per hour well worth the money to ask anyone to give up there weekend if there head is screwed on correctly that person will act as an owner operator i will not tolerate poor work habits fast and accurate get us home earlier
I don`t take any one at there word as to there ability and as matter of fact all employees start with trimming and blowing then the walk behind and onto the ZTR
Old 08-27-2009, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Rates of pay

We pay our guys from $7.00 to $14.00 per hour with the $14.00 an hour guy being the foreman. You can tell real quick wheather they can cut it and it's easier to raise someone up than cut pay. Some guys are not worth the $7.00
an hour.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Isnt $7.00 below the minimum wage?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I think is is now, that was last year. How meny of you guys withold taxes etc. on your workers ? We have some regular employees and we also pick up people as needed that are paid cash.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I promise ya its not the money!

People in this world are lazy an the up coming generation dont want to do any hard work! I have tried that pay tactic an it doesnt work either. Thats why the immigration population is rising every year an H2B programs are becoming more an more popular.I offered a few positions a few months ago at $150 cash daily had about 20 guys call , told them all to meet me at a certain time an location , guess how many showed ,,,,,,, none go figure!!