Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2002, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hypro herbicide in my oil?

Hey anyone got any ideas how I could be getting spray in my oil of my diaphram pump? I put new diaphrams in last year and am wondering if I got the diaphram washer pointing the right way. he washer is concave and I mounted it concave out diapram| ( washer. Any one ever have theirs apart? It is either leaking around the outside of diaphram or around the screw. Oh what is the schrader valve for in the top domed diaphram for?

Help, people want there weeds sprayed.

Mark
Old 04-24-2002, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you have the washer(s) turned in the right direction. The washers should have the lip turned away from the center of the pump. <) pump (> Check to make certain that the diaphragms from last season are not already shot. Check for cracks,splits etc. and replace with new ones if needed. I've found the white diaphragms to be less flexible than the black ones (buna) and last only a few months under normal use and may dry rot if not used regularly. Flush out with kerosene to purge out the contaminated oil and replace. The dome should be pressurized to 20% of the spray pressure you will use, ex: 200 psi = 40 psi dome pressure. You might use a bicycle pump to do this as the pressure builds up very quickly in such a small area of volume...go slow! Hope this helps get you rolling!

Last edited by vegomatic40; 04-24-2002 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Hello it could also be that the bolt that holds the retaining ring on might be worn or screwed in too far into the piston causing it to travel too far slightly pulling the diaphragm out of place and making a little spray solution slip past into the oil. However if it is a lot of solution you might have a hole in the diaphragm. If this is the case stop using immediately or you could fry your pump.

Hope this helps
Toni Davies @ Rittenhouse Sprayers
Old 04-25-2002, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys I will inspect the diaphrams and put it back together. Its worth a try.

Mark
Old 04-25-2002, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pick up the diaphragm kit before you open it up. To remove the heads & not change the diaphragms would be a real waste of time. They're leaking as it is. When you get it open, you'll almost surely find that they've aged & cracked. Change them now.

Depending on the number of hours you guys log on a sprayer every year, I'd recommend changing the diaphragms every year (or every other at minimum). These buggers are very reliable as long as they are supple. They will age & stiffen even if they're not being used. The $50.00 kit is nothing compared to the cost of tying up the sprayer for a whole day. One customer lost to weeds in April or May more than exceeds the cost of changing marginally worn diaphragms.

When storing a sprayer for more than a couple weeks, it's a good idea to run a Nutrasol or Lescosol like tank cleaner through it. While most commonly used to neutrelize herbicides, these cleaners also counteract the harsh effects some chemicals have on the wetted parts of a pumping system. EC's are worse than flowables & wettables but any chemical can cause degradation. The old insecticide Triumph used to eat Viton diaphragms over a period of about 4 or 5 days even if the unit had been flushed with water after spraying.

The washers sound correct. The turned edge that is exposed by the cupping should face outward or toward the head. Check that freezing didn't cause damage to the heads while it's apart too. When reinstalling the new diaphragms, make sure to clean all the parts carefully. Dirt caught between the viton & the vinyl coated aluminum will at least cause leakage & at worst, warpage of the head. Pretty uncommon, but I saw it once.

Steve