Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2009, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

summer aerations

has anyone done a summer core aeration on warm season turf?? and what were your results? and what did you charge per 1000sqft?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Aerating can be done anytime the grass is actively growing. Golf courses may do greens several times a year. The thing you may run into is grass that is so dense that the tines do not penetrate very deep. I usually do mine in the spring before the turf gets thick, but I have done them in the middle of summer with good/great results.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Aerating can be done anytime the grass is actively growing. Golf courses may do greens several times a year. The thing you may run into is grass that is so dense that the tines do not penetrate very deep. I usually do mine in the spring before the turf gets thick, but I have done them in the middle of summer with good/great results.
ArTurf, Do you rent an aerator or do you own your own. I don't own one but I've seen some interesting talk(and a video) on here of the lawnsolution machine. I'd like to own the machine. Spidyx is in Florida. I'd say he could aerate any time of the year and probably be OK. The bermuda is winding down some here. It's definitely growing slower...
Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I own a tow behind. It pulls good plugs but it is not a high production machine. I aerate a few yards. Most people around here are not familiar with aeration. I would love to have the Lawn Solutions Ride On too. It seems it the the ultimate way to go. I have thought about buying one and really pushing the aeration. Maybe next year as I just purchased a Z-Spray. I am going to the GIE EXPO this fall and check them out in person. The bermuda is still going strong in south AR. You live in NW, right? My son lives/goes to school at U of A.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I own a tow behind. It pulls good plugs but it is not a high production machine. I aerate a few yards. Most people around here are not familiar with aeration. I would love to have the Lawn Solutions Ride On too. It seems it the the ultimate way to go. I have thought about buying one and really pushing the aeration. Maybe next year as I just purchased a Z-Spray. I am going to the GIE EXPO this fall and check them out in person. The bermuda is still going strong in south AR. You live in NW, right? My son lives/goes to school at U of A.
Awesome man...you got a Z. If you haven't already fallen in love with it, you will. I've thought about rigging one up to be pulled by the Z somehow. Not sure if it can be done. I'm about 10 miles North of Conway(Faulkner County)

I can't really justify a purchase of more equipment right now either. I just bought my Z in April.I may just rent an aerator next year. $50/day. If I route and schedule the few I'd do, I could still make some good money. When I do get ready to buy, the Lawn Solutions machine looks like the ticket!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=ted putnam;3152777]Awesome man...you got a Z. If you haven't already fallen in love with it, you will. I've thought about rigging one up to be pulled by the Z somehow.

I have a lesco (made by classen) tow behind aerator that I pull with my z-max.
I dont know what the ride-on plate on the new machines is like. But on mine there are holes. I just got a pin and a few washers for spacers and hooked it up.
It works great and I didnt need to by a second expensive machine.