Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2009, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think I hurt my truck towing a heavy load.

The truck is a 96 Ranger 4x4 with v6 4Litre.

I have a 8x10 trailer with big wheels, not a home depot one, it's nice.

We broke up my mothers stairs with a jack hammer and loaded the cement in the trailer, when I noticed my springs were about 6 inches from the ground. We unloaded quite a bit and the springs came back up but still low, and the trailer was about 2-3 deep with concrete.

I got to the dump and had to go up a slight hill so I put my 4x4 on, I had my tranny in low and near the top I started hearing a scraping noise coming from the left front tire. It seemed to be associated with the wheel revolution.

Now, a week later, that scraping is VERY loud and there is also a high pitched whining, like the sound a train makes when they break. When I press on the break, the whining seems to go away but the scraping is still there.

Funny thing is when I back up there is no noise... so I don't know. Tranny?

I'll say this, it sounds almost exactly like it did 3 months ago when I had metal on metal brakes at that same left front tire. But I had a $900 brake and rotor job all around so it shouldn't be that.

any ideas?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take the wheel off and check it out ! It's possible they left a caliper mounting bolt or something loose thats rubbing. In other words, Don't just assume they done the brake job right.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Take the wheel off and check it out ! It's possible they left a caliper mounting bolt or something loose thats rubbing. In other words, Don't just assume they done the brake job right.....
I'm going to take it back to them tomorrow then. I still have a warranty and I get LOTS of work done there. I'll report back.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe it is just a anti-vibration shim that slipped out of place. I once had one slip and it wrapped around the pad a little, scraped and made noise.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
The truck is a 96 Ranger 4x4 with v6 4Litre.

I have a 8x10 trailer with big wheels, not a home depot one, it's nice.

We broke up my mothers stairs with a jack hammer and loaded the cement in the trailer, when I noticed my springs were about 6 inches from the ground. We unloaded quite a bit and the springs came back up but still low, and the trailer was about 2-3 deep with concrete.

I got to the dump and had to go up a slight hill so I put my 4x4 on, I had my tranny in low and near the top I started hearing a scraping noise coming from the left front tire. It seemed to be associated with the wheel revolution.

Now, a week later, that scraping is VERY loud and there is also a high pitched whining, like the sound a train makes when they break. When I press on the break, the whining seems to go away but the scraping is still there.

Funny thing is when I back up there is no noise... so I don't know. Tranny?

I'll say this, it sounds almost exactly like it did 3 months ago when I had metal on metal brakes at that same left front tire. But I had a $900 brake and rotor job all around so it shouldn't be that.

any ideas?
Wheel bearing shot, when you step on the brake, caliper aligns the rotor slightly better, and noise diminishes. Just an opinion.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It turned out to be a broke brake adjusting cable. I guess it was inside the drum on the back tire. They put a hardware kit on and some labour... $100.

I thought it sounded like a potential bearing issue also, but it's all fixed up now.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
They put a hardware kit on and some labour... $100.

DUDE, I hate to say it but......That place is riiipppin you a new bung hole !!!

$100 to install a hardware kit
in which shouldn't have taken over 15/20 minutes ?

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
DUDE, I hate to say it but......That place is riiipppin you a new bung hole !!!

$100 to install a hardware kit
in which shouldn't have taken over 15/20 minutes ?
It's Canadian Tire, been going there forever now... national chain, fairly reputable. So I'm not sure... I prefer national chains to smaller places but I know know you still have to keep an eye on them.

They charged me $91 for labour to replace hardware kit, $20.99 for the hardware kit, $27 for brake inspection (I told them it was the brakes on the front tire), $45 for oil/lube and air filter and about $20 in taxes
Old 08-20-2009, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
It's Canadian Tire, been going there forever now... national chain, fairly reputable. So I'm not sure... I prefer national chains to smaller places but I know know you still have to keep an eye on them.

They charged me $91 for labour to replace hardware kit, $20.99 for the hardware kit, $27 for brake inspection (I told them it was the brakes on the front tire), $45 for oil/lube and air filter and about $20 in taxes
Sounds like you need nationalized car care!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the money dealerships and garages make repairing cars in america is completely ridiculous and out of hand

for one , lame engineering leads to millions of weakly designed suseptible to break down vehichles . we need a car company that makes simple sturdy easy to work on cars

and we need tv shows debating why the hell repair cost are so high so we can change it

but the washed up ruling class completely control the tv so we cant get a word in edge wise = they all gotta go . this kingdom needs to be totally rebuilt starting with all the washed up clowns that run government / media / hollywood / tv / big business being de-powered , then we'll turn it into a true democracy and make our nation function how we want . as opposed to being dictated to by a bunch of punks