Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2009, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Mcculloch Eager Beaver 2.0 chainsaw

I have a Mcculloch eager beaver chainsaw. It didn't run when I got it so I installed a new carb. Seems like it has a priming problem. I'd spray starter fluid in carb. after about 10 pulls or so it would act like it is trying to start. I had it running for about a minute priming carb with starting fluid. Now I cannot get it to run. Still acts like it is trying to start when using starter fluid but will not run. I checked the spark and it seems to be good. I don't understand why it won't stay running when the carb is new. any advise would be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a lot of reasons it might not be running. Have you done a compression or a leakdown test yet. 2 cycles need to hold crankcase presure and vacuum or it will act like its starving for fuel. Could have a plugged impulse port. Also I gotta ask is a new carb or just a one you had laying around. I only ask because putting a new carb on an eager beaver kinda seems like a lot of money for that particular model.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerknower View Post
There is a lot of reasons it might not be running. Have you done a compression or a leakdown test yet. 2 cycles need to hold crankcase presure and vacuum or it will act like its starving for fuel. Could have a plugged impulse port. Also I gotta ask is a new carb or just a one you had laying around. I only ask because putting a new carb on an eager beaver kinda seems like a lot of money for that particular model.
especially if you then go and start spraying starter fluid in it, which has no lubrication and washes all the oil off the cylinder and piston and does a good job of scoring it.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

mcculloch eager beaver 2.0 chainsaw

I fix 2 cycle equipment that I purchase and resell on ebay. I got a real good deal on a small box of new carbs awhile back that are for this model. the carb that was on it looked gummed and corroded so I thought by throwing on a new never used carb it would solve the problem. I've never ran a compression check. it seems like it has good compression when pulled over. I just checked the ports. They were clean. the cylinder looks good, no scoring.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good grief No Bull..wouldn't you rather spend your life on something worthwhile,than wasting valuable heartbeats & sweat over these stupid yellow
cancerous infested crap piles..stay far from anything yellow.I learned this hard after $200 and UNDER 20hours use that yellow=b-a-d.

Stick to orange & white colors so you can rather spend those moments with family or fishing,rather than worn out overly pulled locking elbows and sailor's mouth syndrom.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR View Post
Good grief No Bull..wouldn't you rather spend your life on something worthwhile,than wasting valuable heartbeats & sweat over these stupid yellow
cancerous infested crap piles..stay far from anything yellow.I learned this hard after $200 and UNDER 20hours use that yellow=b-a-d.

Stick to orange & white colors so you can rather spend those moments with family or fishing,rather than worn out overly pulled locking elbows and sailor's mouth syndrom.
\
While I do agree with you, if you read his previous post clearly he likes to fix up junk that is not worth fixing up. Either that or he is selling it for far more than it is worth on ebay. But forget about that, he still hasnt done a leak down test or a compression test. If he does those 2 thing first then he can find what the problem is. If he doesnt know how to do that then he should not even be working on 2 cycle equipment.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm aware Mowerknower,poor souls receiving these Tonka like Hanna Montanna
junk piles.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Mcculloch repair

first of all. I do not just fix and sell mcculloch. I mainly deal with Stihl and Honda equipment. I got the mcculloch saws and the parts for almost nothing. So I figured when I don't have any stihl to repair I would fix up some of this junk to make alittle extra dough. Usually I don't spend much time fixing the mcculloch stuff because usually the problems are easy to fix. This is a rare one that I am having problems running. I agree that the mcculloch eager beaver 2.0 saws are junk. There are other mccullochs that aren't like the timber bear 610. I have sawed several cored with a 610 saw. have had it for about 15 yrs and bought it used. I have not had any problems with it at all. I know stihl is far better then other models. I am on a low budget and buy and fix what I can afford. I'm not no dummy. I know how to fix most small engine problems. I get stumped once in a while. What is the carb setting on a zama M7 49P carb. What is the correct compression for the mcculloch 2.0 Alls I want is alittle advise. I never went to school for small gas engine repair. I learned this stuff on my own. tinkerin around with things. I don't need the put downs, just the advise.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't need the put downs, just the advise. [/QUOTE]

Alright, I will say this one more time. Junk machine or not, on any 2 cycle that apears to be running lean, you need to do a leakdown test to find the problem. You want advise but then you dont take it.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No bull, waiting for an update on the leakdown?