Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2009, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Catalogues?

First off, I've never attempted to do a lighting job. I'm not comfortable saying that I can effectively design and install one.

That being said, I'm interested in gaining a basic knowledge of the subject and any help would be greatly appreciated. It sucks not knowing.

One of our customers asked us to check a light fixture assuming we were the cause of its demise. OK, I can do that. I'm not positive we did it, but it's a good customer.

I find that one of the connections has broken from the bulb. That night I go to the electrical store to find out that this "Malibu" style bulb made by a company named Intermatic has been discontinued and I need to look online for a replacement.

Upon my search, the low wattage bulb on my shoulders begins to flicker. This piece of **** fixture was installed by the builder (I hope), and I need to upsell.

The customer has taken me up on my offer and I'd really like to be able to hand them a catalogue and help them find the right replacement fixtures. The only problem is............. I can't find one.

I've discovered that Kichler is a highly regarded company and I'm interested in finding out how to get my hands on a catalogue of their products to hand the customer. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Can I get a catalogue somewhere?

I've got electrical experience, but I'm not an electrician by any means. Any help with ensuring I'm going to make the proper connections would be amazing.

Some of you guys are real professionals. I'm really impressed with some of the work I've seen looking through your posts. I've also learned quite a bit. Thanks for any help.

Rich
Old 08-20-2009, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rich,

One option would be to see if there are any upcoming lighting seminars in your area.
Check with irrigation distributors as they often host these seminars. Or just google lighting manufacturers and see where they might be holding seminars. Try Vista, Kichler, Unique, Hadco, Cast, etc... If you find one attend and see if the distributor will actually help you with the install.
Second option is to find a lighting pro in your area and sub him to do your lighting job for your customer. Watch, learn and make some money for yourself in the process.

Good Luck!
Keith
Old 08-20-2009, 04:45 AM
LawnSite Member

The irrigation companies are the ones with the catalogs too.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Stripes- I'd say FX lighting, Landscape Lighting World ( griffin is a sponsor and poster here) on the web, Copper moon, and others should be on your list of folks to check out. irrigation supply places are the ones who have the catalogs, but not always the folks who have the best literature have the best lights. I'd like to second hiring a lighting pro and helping him install, but finding a pro is no easier for you than it is anyone else. and they may train you wrong. Reading the threads here are a great education, although we tend to gloss over the basic things you need to know to do a job because most of us have talked that stuff to death and don't post about it. There's a hundred books you could read, but you really don't have to the time to find them for this project.

I'd do a thread search about voltage drop, reccomended voltage at fixture, transformers, trenching wire depth, amp load, daisy chain and hub, waterproof connections, fishing wires, going under side walks, etc. I have not seen threads on those for almost a year, but they are absolutely the most important thing to you right now. If the malibu stuff are beginning to fail, You will need to replace all the malibu stuff now or in the next few years. it is way better to do it all now, and do it right.

The most important thing is you need a clamp meter with a digital volt range into at least the tenths. a 100 buck non-rms fluke clamp meter from grainger or online is the minimum I would buy. RMS flukes are 2-300 bucks but a bit overkill for low voltage. but don't go cheap here.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I think someone has an on-line training program. I ran across it a while ago. This might be helpful for the basics.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We could help you out! PM me if your interested....
Old 08-20-2009, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Recomendations?

At this point, I'm leaning toward Finding a legitimate sub. The customer is now talking about possibly reconfiguring the existing design. I'm positive that he doesn't want to spend a lot. I'm guessing his max would be in the 2-3k range; depending on the presentation. Of course, there are some who are better salesman than I.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have a capable electrician, but I wouldn't mind impressing this customer.