Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2009, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

1st Commercial accout, How much do I bid?

Hey guys,

Just joined this great site..

I'm currently only moving residential properties, charging $35-$45..

I came across the property below that they are taking bids on and I'm having one of those breakdown moments where I'm ready to make a bid and I'm absolutely clueless as to what to throw out..
Basic bid will consist of Mowing, Trimming, blowing, edging once a month or as needed. The property is absolutely huge in my mind since I have a 42" walk behind, so I'm not sure how my time stacks up versus guys with 2 or 3 riders and I'm running solo.

I guess I should have said that I would mow once a week and edge once a month to clear that up.

Help!

Last edited by Adi's Lawn Salon; 08-20-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

once a month??????

Old 08-20-2009, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

How many acres would you guess? Consider bed maintenance (hand weeding and chemical), shurb/tree care,(several times) lawn program (fert/weed), hard surface weed control, mulching in your bid for starters.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Adi,
Is this a business or is this an apartment complex?
Looks like apartments to me.........? Too similar in design with the surrounding buildings to be anything less!!!
It is hard to see where the last photo ends, and if all that extra turf area is included, i wouldn't hesitate to bid 2000.00 per month.........! Then tax's for my state!!
Old 08-20-2009, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey thanks for the reply's you guys.

I cropped the picture to all 3 of the fence lines so its pretty dead on within about 15 feet..

The business is an appartment/rentable townhome complex. I spoke to the manager today for about 2 minutes and it sounds like I'm gona have to throw a bid in by tomorrow afternoon..

The property is so badly overgrown so it will need some serious work the weeds are unbeleveble, which is gona bring up another conversation for me and the property manager, what happen to the last crew!??

Any other thoughts? Is $2000 still a good starting point?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2009, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

"The property is so badly overgrown so it will need some serious work the weeds are unbeleveble, which is gona bring up another conversation for me and the property manager, what happen to the last crew!??"

Were I giving such an estimate, I'd first give an estimate for a one time "clean up" job and then another estimate for regular monthly maintenance.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

And be sure to write up a written contract detailing the work to be done etc.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Well First of all you should calculate all your operating expenses (overhead,equipment,fuel,dumping fees,etc. and employees if you plan to get some) then figure out your man hour rate.

Figure out a break even point and then your profit %. The reason that it's good to figure this out is some guys have to charge more because they have more expenses. So you really can't bid what someone else is bidding you might be cutting your self short.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

First of all I want to thank all of you for replying, thank you for that last tip noriega!!

But here is the deal, I surveyed the area today and I think my eyes were bigger than my stomach on this one, I guess they would say.
The property is way to big for me to run a solo part time operation like I'm doing right now, sure the money would be nice but its too big of a commitment for me, I don't want to promise something I can't deliver and end up with a bad experience on my hands.. I also found out that the company has filed for bankruptcy about 2 months ago so that was the final nail in the coffin for me..

It would have been a great account if I had at least another guy and minus the bankruptcy part ha-ha...

Here is a picture of the complete property, everything within the green line.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would say you just saved yourself a huge expensive lesson. The bankruptcy explains why the last company bailed and why the place is in such poor shape. FYI when a company is in bankruptcy they are protected from all creditors (including you) The thought was you would do all that clean up work and maybe they could string you along for a couple months. Then if you took them to court you would wait in line with rest of the creditors. I always recommend you stay away from commercial accounts until you have enough experience with bidding and contracts. Solo ops usually don't fare well with accounts that size.