Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2011, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Passing On Equipment Cost

I am putting together a quote for a customer to clear an overgrown lot filled with smaller shrubs and blanketed with a thick layer of vines. I am thinking of buying the stihl fs350 to help with this project and wanted to know if I should include full cost of equipment or partial cost into quote. I looked into renting heavy machinery and the cost of renting skidsteer/dozer would be about the same as to buy the fs350 for the job. The difference would be labor hours, less with the heavy machinery. Can I pass on the cost of the equipment or should I spread it out over a few jobs?
Old 01-15-2011, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say spread it out over a few jobs, if I knew I could get the work. Also curious about actual size of the lot.

More interesting to note is the fact you've been a member since 2008 and this is your FIRST POST?

I could've never stayed quiet that long!!
Old 01-15-2011, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I used to post a lot on lawn **** until they shut down and I would use this site just for the search.

Don't know exact size but it is a full beach lot that needs to be cleared. I hate to bid low and sell my self short, so I usually start with a big number and give my self a few days to think about the number and usually work it down to a reasonable estimate.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess if you could pass it on and they pay for it, you still make money..... it's like getting a piece of equipment for free!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

First of all you need to itemize what the equipment would cost, rent wise, for a job like this.
Factor in your time/labor involved then compare the rental cost verse specific equipment acquisition.
If the #'s make sense then buy the Stihl - if they don't then rent.
I would suggest avoiding the over simplistic idea that jobs pay for equipment.
In short they don't.
The idea behind equipment ownership should be the ability you can offer services different from your competition in a more rapid response fashion. Bear in mind every time you buy a piece of equipment depreciation will devalue most equipment along the value lines comparable to renting - meaning unless you have multiple jobs lines up to utilize a specialized piece of equipment it makes more sense money wise to rent.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why not rent a Billy Goat Brush Cutter from Home Depot. We got one of those saw deals and it leaves a lot of little stuff and not real good on stuff that is over the size of your fingar.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I had seen a you tube clip of one of those stihl fs 350's with a metal circular blade cutting through some pretty big brush, they were using it for selective trimming at a commercial timber site. Also thought we could cut underneath the vegetation and pull out by hand to haul off. Will those brush cutters go over a mass of vegetation around stomach high? Maybe we could go over site with one after the bulk is cut back.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Day View Post
I had seen a you tube clip of one of those stihl fs 350's with a metal circular blade cutting through some pretty big brush, they were using it for selective trimming at a commercial timber site. Also thought we could cut underneath the vegetation and pull out by hand to haul off. Will those brush cutters go over a mass of vegetation around stomach high? Maybe we could go over site with one after the bulk is cut back.
The answer is yes. I was truly amazed what that Billygoat would cut down. Sure was glad it was a rental. We had a lot of wild grape vines and small trees definitely no way I wordily have taken mower into it.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Always weigh how often you plan on using the equiipment in the future. If you do a lot of that type of work, then I would buy they equipment after doing a cost-needs analysis of sorts. if you don't do a lot of that type of work then it is better to rent because the carrying costs of equipment just lying around is a waste.