Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2009, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Stringers

Okay experts, I need your help please. I have thick, lush St. Augustine grass that I keep high (4.0") and mow every 4 or five days. My Toro Recycler left a lot of stringers -- one every 20 feet or so -- even after I sharpened the blade and checked the RPMs. So I got an almost new Super Recycler with professionally set RPMs and freshly sharpened blade and I STILL HAVE THE SAME ISSUE. I've tried overlapping the rows and that helps a little. I've also tried bagging, and that helps a little as well -- though I'd much rather mulch. I am walking quite slowly when I mow, and there's no problem with the engine bogging down at all. I don't mow when it's wet, so that's not the problem either.

Is my HOC too high to get proper suction? Is my lawn simply too dense to mulch cleanly? Is there some other issue? I would love the benefit of your thoughts. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Member

what size cut is your mower?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I thought I had tried everything where you can only get a 21 in to cut with, and my dealer said try one more thing, but it didn't work either -- I got the big, bolt-on sails for a Snapper 21" Hi-Vac blade. Generates a lot more vacuum. Pulled up the plastic access door for the water meter and cut it in half, but still left stringers.

More overlap helps, but you can double cut, think you got 'em all, and come back in twenty minutes and some more stringers have popped up. I think it is just the contrary nature of St. Aug.

I don't know of a reel mower that has a high enough cutting height for St. Aug., but wonder if even that would work.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Certain times of the year St. Aug. gets pretty tough to manage! You just have to double cut and change patterns and deal with it!
Old 08-23-2009, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by question1 View Post
Okay experts, I need your help please. I have thick, lush St. Augustine grass that I keep high (4.0") and mow every 4 or five days. My Toro Recycler left a lot of stringers -- one every 20 feet or so -- even after I sharpened the blade and checked the RPMs. So I got an almost new Super Recycler with professionally set RPMs and freshly sharpened blade and I STILL HAVE THE SAME ISSUE. I've tried overlapping the rows and that helps a little. I've also tried bagging, and that helps a little as well -- though I'd much rather mulch. I am walking quite slowly when I mow, and there's no problem with the engine bogging down at all. I don't mow when it's wet, so that's not the problem either.

Is my HOC too high to get proper suction? Is my lawn simply too dense to mulch cleanly? Is there some other issue? I would love the benefit of your thoughts. Thanks.
I think this is your main problem is cutting too high, disabling maximum suction.

QUOTE:

St Augustine mowing heights should range from 1 to 3 inches depending on the frequency of mowing and the degree of shade present.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Different types of St Augustine can be cut at 3 to 4 inches! Your thinking of semi dwarf instead of standard St Augustine! I cut here down south at 3.50"!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

OK...what are stringers?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

OK. I cut St. Aug. At one house at 4.5 in. Do you have a mulching kit?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2009, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2work View Post
OK...what are stringers?
Stringers are people who weave baskets for a living.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I call them "stringers," and I have also heard them called "stragglers." They're random blades of grass that escape being cut even though you mow right over them. Sorry if I used the wrong term. My mower has a 21" deck.

Tags
recycler , stringers , toro