Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2000, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

i put down 1100 sq ft of sod in my front yard 3 weeks ago here in central California. i was told by a landscaper one time to put &quot;Scott's Halts 2 &quot; on early so that i can keep weeds away come summer. i'm wondering if now is the time and is it ok to do on fairly new sod or if i even should. i tore the old grass out as it was loaded with tons of weeds and burmuda, i killed it three times with RoundUp ( over a 3 month period )before i put the sod down. i waited about a month after the last RoundUp application to sod. i'm afraid of things coming back right away.<p>also, i was also told one time to use TriMax to kill existing weeds, that it won't kill the grass, is this true?<p>thank you for any help<p><p>----------<br>FH<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

What kind of sod?<p>Anyway, I have used several brands and the one brand that I found I like very well is the Ferti-Lome products. <p>You should apply a pre-emergunce in the spring and fall. This will only take care of the seeds that are in place already. If you have killed all the existing weeds then you shouldn't have anymore problems just make sure that you use the pre-emergunce products. Your local Ferti-lome dealer can explain which products to use and when. <br>I would say go ahead get it on the lawn now before the weeds seeds have time to germinate.<p>Once you have the lawn rooted in just use a regular fertilzer. Just apply the pre-emergunce spring and fall. <br>As for a regular fertilizer I like to use Ferti-lome's Lawn Food Plus Iron. It will really thicken in and be a deep lush green. Apply once a month this year and you will need to slow down next year or be overwhelmed with cutting a lot just keep up with the grass clippings.<p>----------<br>Adam<br>Clovis, NM<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello FH. My experience is in the midwest, so it may not be applicable to you. Your best source of info would be your state cooperative extension service. Apparently CA is broken up into 3 regions, and I don't know which would apply to you. Links to two of them are on &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.reeusda.gov/statepartners/ca.htm&quot;&gt;This page&lt;/a&gt;<p>It is my experience that applying a pre-emergent to newly sodded areas interferes with rooting. As far as fertilizing, you should have tilled in a starter fertilizer before laying the sod. This is done to draw the roots down, and establish sod sooner. Application of a starter fertilizer now would be helpful, but not nearly as good as fert before sodding. But again, go to coop ext serv and find recoimmendations specific to your area.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br>