Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2002, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Fertilizer in the Rain?

Hello,
I was wondering if it's okay to put down fertilizer onto wet ground or if it's going to rain later the same day. I will be using common fertilizer. Please let me know. thanks guys.

Adam
Old 04-25-2002, 10:48 PM
Millenium Member

Sure as long as you have a cover for your spreader and it's not raining real hard. I did most of my second pre-m apps in the rain.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fertilizer must be brought into the grass root zone to be most effective. Rain or irregation performs that fucntion. Not going to matter if it rains while fertilizing or after the job is done. If fact some fertilizers can volatilize if not watered into the soil within 2-3 days following app. Illinois extension service recommends not applying herbicides before (or during) real heavy rain storms. Their concern is run-off and pollution/contamination. So weed and feed can be applied in rain, but you should hold off if the predicted rain is going to be particularly heavy.

jim

If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence then just move the darn fence.
Old 04-26-2002, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can certainly apply fert. in the rain. In fact, it's even better because many fertilizers need to be watered in before they take effect.

HOWEVER, you must be careful for iron stains. A good fertilizer will contain at least trace amounts of iron (the one we use has 2%) and that will stain the heck out of a nice driveway or sidewalk on a rainy day. If it's raining really hard, you'll want someone blowing as you fertilize around walkways and driveways. If it's just overcast and about-to-rain, then you just need to blow real well after you are done.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 04-26-2002, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Like the gents said, it is ok to do but I personally find it difficult. I have a Bigfoot spreader with a raincap but I use the cap for a safety in case it takes an unforseen bounce. If you absolutely have to fert in the rain, make sure you keep your product and your spreader hopper dry. Also realize that humidity effects the distribution of the fertilizer also.
Also do as Jim said and blow the walks and drives every time you fertilize. Its the low class operators who walk away from a walk and driveway full of fertilizer. It is the professional thing to do. Use it as a selling point that you care.Good Luck
Old 04-27-2002, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can do some damage to the leaf of turf when spreading urea prills on wet turf. They tend to stick to the leaf blade and roll down when the blades are wet. This can burn the blade somewhat. Use caution or liquid.

Mark
Old 05-04-2014, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Old thread....New bump. In 2002 a career in Lawn Care never remotely crossed my mind.

Anyhow....weather issues rain and the wind factor continue to be a dodge ball factor for keeping a schedule...at least for me.

In the last few weeks I read some place on how a poster here said fertilizer spreads well in the rain...

Even if the product doesn't have any Iron compounds....most bags say to NOT apply when walks and drives are wet...?

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any weed-n-feed that requires moist foliage for best results would not yield best results, if applied in rain. Systemic weed-n-feed, sure,,,, but inches of expected rain is important to any application.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do not do apps in the rain. #1 most of my fert contains Fe and I don't want sidewalk stains. #2 you cannot blow the prills off the sidewalk when wet, they just stick and its a big mess.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-04-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is so difficult to keep the fertilizer dry enough to spread. A half full spreader on the back of a pickup as you drive 50 miles per hour in a driving rain. Yuck! Most spreader covers (like Lesco) are nylon around the outside with a bungi cord inside. But the nylon is not waterproof (except in a light mist). And if the spreader isn't moving, a couple gallons of water collects on top of the rain-cover until it gets deep enough to penetrate the green nylon along the border and water leaks down. Once wet, you cannot spread the fertilizer, nor can you legally dispose of it, especially if there is crabgrass control chemical in it.

Are you listening Jeff K. at Earthway?
I wish you had an engineer who could invent a spreader that would stay dry, and be useful even after a good rain while I am driving. Or eating lunch with a tall cup of coffee--waiting for the rain to quit.

A better rain cover than Lesco would be a sales point--wouldn't it?

And what about a Teflon impeller so fertilizer would never stick.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 05-04-2014 at 09:56 PM. Reason: ps