Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-17-2009, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just an update.

The BNI group that I wanted to initially be a part of has an opening for a Landscaper as the other one has dropped out.

I went to the meeting today, and It consist of about 25 members, and some very qualified professionals.

I think I'll be dropping the money to join. The only thing that sucks about it was I was hoping to by another leaf blower. But, hopefully the referrals will compensate.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Good luck, keep us posted if you get referals to pay for that blower! I haven't gone to a meeting yet. I'm very concerned with if they boot you out if you miss 3 meetings. Because I could see missing 3 very easily. It's not that I'm not willing to try this out, it's just that the meeting time is not good for my schedule. I don't want to put the money out and then not be allowed in when I can make arrangements to attend a meeting. As for a sub,it's only me and my husband, so if he can't make it due to a far away job, I'd be the sub, and the meetings conflict with my other commitments.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
I don't want to put the money out and then not be allowed in when I can make arrangements to attend a meeting. As for a sub,it's only me and my husband, so if he can't make it due to a far away job, I'd be the sub, and the meetings conflict with my other commitments.
They actually give you a list of other members from other chapters that will act as a sub. You'll have more options than just you or your husband then.

I would say to just attend a meeting as a guest. You can at least attend a couple of times before you have to commit.

It's worth it to check it out. Also, is there more than one chapter in your area ??

Old 09-17-2009, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

There's a one in my town, and then another one about 20 mins away, which that town has a little more high end residents, so I was thinking about checking that one out too. From what I understand neither have a landscaper member yet. The list of member they have do you have to pick one that is the same trade as yours?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I help formed our chapter, Going on our second yr. you get out of it what you put in it. it has been good for me in many ways, not just referrals but connections I have made from our members and the vistors we have had. plus the networking
Old 09-19-2009, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
There's a one in my town, and then another one about 20 mins away, which that town has a little more high end residents, so I was thinking about checking that one out too. From what I understand neither have a landscaper member yet. The list of member they have do you have to pick one that is the same trade as yours?
Funny thing is, no. The first group I attended as a guest, an auto-mechanic had a CPA subbing for him.

Now I wonder though, we have the luxury of having more than one chapter in our metro area, so, it makes the sub list longer.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i am a member of the show me the business chapter here in branson,mo.

http://www.bnistl.com/chapterdetails.php?ID=99

i went as a guest last year and by the end of the meeting i had 3 referrals- which the first one paid for my dues and membership fees! it has been the best investment i have ever made as well as the connections and friends i have made as well. if you have a chance to join DO IT! cuz once your in, you lock out all other landscaping companies from joining the group. and in this economy, we all need all the help we can get. you will be kicking yourself if you don't. even if you dont make alot of money off the bat-think long term. you are getting lots of exposure for literally nothing and making lots of business connections. plus you can get into "power teams". which, like i am in the construction power team, you can all get together and talk about how you can all benefit from each other just in that little sub group.

any more questions feel free to call

chris
Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we dont pass referrals to our visitors they have to join first. what if they didnt join and they just got some work for nothing but showing up.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So, hopefully next week will be my official induction into the group.

So far it's been great. Like stated above, just the networking will be worth it.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we make it a point to try and refer the visitors. it definitely helped me to decide on whether or not to join. plus -who is it gonna hurt if you give them referrals. if there is nobody else in the group that offers that service-why withhold that from them. throw a brother a bone.

chris