Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-10-2009, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree who's it going to hurt? If I go as a visitor & I get referals right away, then I would definately be leaning towards joining. To join with no referals is taking a huge leap of faith that referals will come. I don't care that there are no landscapers in the group, & I'd be stopping any from coming in, there hasn't been one in the group in my town for over a year, since the same guy I spoke with last year is still trying to get us in. With this economy & practically no work, I can't afford to be taking leaps. I have to be realistic, I'm not joining to make friends, and need somewhere to hang out early in the morning, it is all about driving the business, & if I can't be proven to me up front then I may have to pass. I have to make ends meet until the snow kicks in! Then maybe next yr I'll have more faith in taking leaps.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

first ya have to know if that person/business is going to be a good referral, if they arient dependable and do a great job would you want to refer them? there is a trust issue
Old 10-10-2009, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

true -but 90% of the people that come to our group are friends of the person who brought them or have previously done work for them. so either way they should still know what kind of quality work they do.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
I agree who's it going to hurt? If I go as a visitor & I get referals right away, then I would definately be leaning towards joining. To join with no referals is taking a huge leap of faith that referals will come. I don't care that there are no landscapers in the group, & I'd be stopping any from coming in, there hasn't been one in the group in my town for over a year, since the same guy I spoke with last year is still trying to get us in. With this economy & practically no work, I can't afford to be taking leaps. I have to be realistic, I'm not joining to make friends, and need somewhere to hang out early in the morning, it is all about driving the business, & if I can't be proven to me up front then I may have to pass. I have to make ends meet until the snow kicks in! Then maybe next yr I'll have more faith in taking leaps.
You just need to go to a meeting. You'll get all your questions answered there. As a visitor, I passed out cards if someone requested it, I just didn't shove them in their face because I wasn't a member.

I think you'll find more work than you think through a BNI group.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i concur
Old 10-10-2009, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to join the nearest one in CDA.

Is it worth spending 3 hours in the truck every week to get to the meetings and back? Is it that good?

Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Once upon a time, there was a lonely oxygen atom. The oxygen atom met two little hydrogen atoms, and suggested they try a threesome. They did, and everybody got wet. The end.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

check the BNI website to see if there is a group near you or start your own, I was one of the founding members in our group. Meetings last an hr. and a half, plus networking some during the week, but well worth it. what you put in it is what you'll get out of it!
Old 10-10-2009, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanau View Post
I'd like to join the nearest one in CDA.

Is it worth spending 3 hours in the truck every week to get to the meetings and back? Is it that good?
Maybe, if you need the work. You might be able to take that day off and work saturdays if you don't already. 3 hour commute might be a bit much unless you can land some big accounts through BNI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardmanlee View Post
check the BNI website to see if there is a group near you or start your own, I was one of the founding members in our group. Meetings last an hr. and a half, plus networking some during the week, but well worth it. what you put in it is what you'll get out of it!

I agree, see if you can start your own chapter locally.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had better results with Leads groups than BNI groups - main difference is no yearly fee, usually just by the meeting. Also, more than one of each trade can join - so you usually get several bankers, realtors, etc - but have always been the only landscaper anyways.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in a BNI group for 3 years it pays for itself quickly. Its not always great and having to go everweek kind of sucks it does get repetitave at times. I would still recommend joining if it doesnt work you can quit and your out 400$ not much money considering you probably got a few referrals anyways.