Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2009, 05:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Stihl vs. Echo - Your Opinion

It's been awhile since I've done lawn maintenance and was wondering what you all think about Stihl vs. Echo equipment? I always liked the Stihl edgers, but liked the Echo brand for the light weight? How about in terms of longevity?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like my Stihl BR 600 4-MIX backpack blower a lot. Very reliable, 2 years old, and still starts first pull every time. Tons of power. I also have a 30 year old Stihl 024 chainsaw that still runs great. Never used Echo, but they are ok too. I personally like Stihl.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like stihl's power. But i like the lightweight echo trimmers. The next trimmer I would buy would most likely be a stihl. My 261 just lacks the power needed to blast through thicker weeds and grass as the stihl fs110 I used went trough it like it was nothing. As for blowers, I will never buy anything but Br600 for a blower. Light,powerful,dependable. Cant as for much more.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used a friends FS 110R 4-MIX, and it was an absolute monster. Tons of torque, and not too terribly heavy. A good bit more power than my Kawasaki KGT27A. They have had it for 4 years of very hard use, and all they have done was replace the carburetor (once).
Old 08-24-2009, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I couldn't be happier with my FS90. I thought about the Echo when I was looking, but decided since I already owned 2 other Stihl trimmers and a Stihl chainsaw, I'd just stick with Stihl.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever you select stick with the 2 stroke units if you want a unit
that will last. The field data in our market(hot temp) is showing the 4-mix blower just will not last. I see that stihl is coming out with some non-4-mix trimmers this year so they must be taking another look. And yes if the very most important thing is for the unit to start on the first pull the 4-mix is better. But that is the end of the advantages....the oil is very costly.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All the guys in my city run nearly exclusively the 4-MIX engines, and they look like they are so beat up, yet they still run great here in the Arkansas 100 degree heat year after year. The 4-MIX is very reliable, and long lasting when run on Amsoil Saber. My friends have run their 110 for 4 years with Wal-Mart Super Tech (junk) oil, and it still runs great. No valve troubles, or even a single adjustment.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis215 View Post
All the guys in my city run nearly exclusively the 4-MIX engines, and they look like they are so beat up, yet they still run great here in the Arkansas 100 degree heat year after year. The 4-MIX is very reliable, and long lasting when run on Amsoil Saber. My friends have run their 110 for 4 years with Wal-Mart Super Tech (junk) oil, and it still runs great. No valve troubles, or even a single adjustment.
All the city guys in Austin buys them also.......the repair guy that used to work for them tells a much different story than what you are indicating. He says the 4-mix blowers are very very unreliable and he considers them junk. When these units are run peddle to metal they simply don't last. They started switching to the BR420.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

All I run is Echo because that's what my dealer has.

What I've noticed is that there's a lot of Stihl guys that rant and rave about how Stihl is the best. That's why I went with Echo, because there's not a fuss about their equipment. I've rarely read a post "you should have bought Echo."

Maybe Stihl is better, but I don't care. I avoid it like the plague, just like Deere. It's the whole aura of cockiness that turns me away...

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 08-24-2009, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
All I run is Echo because that's what my dealer has.

What I've noticed is that there's a lot of Stihl guys that rant and rave about how Stihl is the best. That's why I went with Echo, because there's not a fuss about their equipment. I've rarely read a post "you should have bought Echo."

Maybe Stihl is better, but I don't care. I avoid it like the plague, just like Deere. It's the whole aura of cockiness that turns me away...
An individual's cockiness about a piece of equipment doesn't always reflect the product. JMO