Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 08-08-2009, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

clutch question

Sometimes when i engage my blades they do not engage immediately when i pull up the knob. i do here a ssssssssssss where the clutch engages and then they will engage sometimes 3-5 seconds later. what could this be?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmac View Post
Sometimes when i engage my blades they do not engage immediately when i pull up the knob. i do here a ssssssssssss where the clutch engages and then they will engage sometimes 3-5 seconds later. what could this be?
What clutch do you have? newer unit or older?
Its your clutch in need of adjustment to the plates, problem is that the Warner clutch isn't serviceable, the older Ogura one is adjustable.

Pj
Old 08-10-2009, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

it's the 05 non xr7 27/60, super z.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
it's the 05 non xr7 27/60, super z.
Ok, you have the Warner clutch, it is not adjustable unfortunately, I would have it checked out and possibly replaced before it fails on the job.

Pj
Old 08-16-2009, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

could this make the engine rpm's lower if it is a clutch problem. i have also been having a problem with the rpm's.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerconsultant View Post
Ok, you have the Warner clutch, it is not adjustable unfortunately, I would have it checked out and possibly replaced before it fails on the job.

Pj
My clutch has been replaced, along with the pigtails several times. Mine is the 2006 Super Z. Now it's doing the same thing as his. I have to shut the engine off turn on the key pull the button up to engage the blades and if it doesn't engage wiggle the plug going into the clutch until it clicks. Then get back on the mower and try it again after restarting the engine etc.... I have a spare pigtail I carry with me but every year at least one pigtail gets changed. The clutch was new this yr and the pigtail have less than 300 hrs probably on them. A real pain.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 08-17-2009, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
could this make the engine rpm's lower if it is a clutch problem. i have also been having a problem with the rpm's.
It shouldn't affect engine RPM's unless the bearings are starting to go and lock up.

Pj
Old 08-17-2009, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
My clutch has been replaced, along with the pigtails several times. Mine is the 2006 Super Z. Now it's doing the same thing as his. I have to shut the engine off turn on the key pull the button up to engage the blades and if it doesn't engage wiggle the plug going into the clutch until it clicks. Then get back on the mower and try it again after restarting the engine etc.... I have a spare pigtail I carry with me but every year at least one pigtail gets changed. The clutch was new this yr and the pigtail have less than 300 hrs probably on them. A real pain.
Do you have the latest clutch anchor? and are you routing the pigtail wire assemble correctly? we have made changes in those areas and once they are done I havent heard of many problems.

Pj
Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerconsultant View Post
Do you have the latest clutch anchor? and are you routing the pigtail wire assemble correctly? we have made changes in those areas and once they are done I havent heard of many problems.

Pj
I don't know anything about a new anchor for the clutch. But mine is the one that the engine deck plate broke and so they beefed it all up last fall. Don't know what they did with the mount etc it was all under warranty.

The pigtails are the main problem, the heat from the clutch causes the pigtail to short out right where it attaches to the clutch. I run the pigtail the way it came from the factory. The only issue is where it plugs in there is a slight bend in the wire and it cracks from the heat.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 08-17-2009, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just dropped it off at the dealer. he is going to check it out tomorrow for me. i hope it is a quick fix. i'll keep you updated. my dealer is cirrus, in white house, tn.